In conjunction with North Tyneside Council we are pleased to announce the return of the Whitley Bay Bus Rally.
This event will take place on The Links opposite Bournemouth Gardens car park. It will feature a selection of classic buses on display, trade stands and two free bus services will operate from the rally site.
The first service will use a selection of vehicles attending the event and will head south along the seafront to Tynemouth Priory and Village before returning to the rally site along the seafront.
Aycliffe & District Bus Preservation Society (Peter Mitchell)
Delivered on 1st June 1958 to United Automobile Services Ltd this was one of 5 bought for extended tours and designed to carry 34 passengers in luxury.
Between 1958 & 1961 the coach was used on United's prestigious extended week long tours. It was then reseated from 34 recliners to 39 fixed coach seats and used on summertime day trips from Scarborough and occasional long distance service work.
In 1971 it was bought by Morris Brothers of Swansea and by 1974 it had moved on to Newquay in Cornwall. We believe that after about 1978 the coach was laid up and never turned a wheel until purchased for preservation by lan Hunter of Leeds, who realised its unique place in the history of United.
Following a successful Heritage Lottery Fund application by Aycliffe and District Bus Preservation Society the restoration of the vehicle commenced in March 2000 and was completed in 2012.
Albion Nimbus NS3N with Harrington DP30F body.
New to Western Welsh
Daimler CCG6 with Roe double-deck body.
The bus appeared in the 1964 Earls Court Motor Show. It is a hybrid of Daimler chassis and Guy driveline with Gardner engine. It has appeared in a Tesco advert.
The vehicle was new to South Shields Corporation as No 140. On withdrawal, it was retained by Busways and later Stagecoach, and has been maintained by the 140 Group for 32 years. It has been in preservation longer than it was in service. The only double decker remaining in South Shields.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H40/32R
This Routemaster entered service as London Transport RML2551 in 1966, initially on route 6, and after refurbishment on route 12. Refurbishment was of both interior and of the driveline, when a Cummins engine replaced the AEC original. The current owner intends to preserve it with its route 12 branding.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H40/32R
New to London Transport as RML 2686, one of the last batch of RML's in service and latterly run by Arriva until the demise of RM operation in London. The bus was refurbished some years ago and was fitted with a Cummins engine, bought by Cooper of Annitsford, Northumberland, and acquired from them by present owner in 2005 after driving it up from London. On going restoration to its 1968 looks.
Bristol RESL with Pennine bus bodywork.
New in 1971 to Burnley, Colne and Nelson, then passing to Burnley and Pendle with the reorganisation of local government. The bus was withdrawn from service 1983. Now carrying the livery used in 1980, it is the only survivor of this combination of chassis and body.
Former Devon General bus now preserved in the North East
Bristol VRT Northern Counties H43/31F
New to Cleveland Transit as their H106 in 1977. A typical Northern Counties body but unusually on a Bristol VRT/SL3 chassis. Worked from both Middlesbrough and Stockton Depots.
Withdrawn in 1989 and sold on to Jones of Llanfaethlu on Anglesey for further service. Recovered by the 500 Group in 2006, apparently not needing too much work!
After an eight year rebuild involving many thousands of hours work by a dedicated volunteer team and a 5 figure cost, she debuted in preservation at the Stagecoach Stockton Depot Open day in September 2014. Now entering her 3rd season on the rally circuit.
Leyland Leopard/Plaxton Supreme C53F
Plaxton Supreme IV bodywork, ex National Express (East Yorkshire). It then went to Cherry Coaches of Hull, before returning to East Yorkshire Motor Services, it spent some it's later years with Lee's of Durham, Classic of Annfield Plain, and Scarlet Band Coaches all in the Durham area, before being preserved by the present owner Mr Tony Hull.
Bristol LH6L ECW B43F
New To Bristol Omnibus. Worked at Solent Blue Line, Hampshire Bus, TMS, EYMS. Became static living accommodation.
Dennis Dart 9.8SDL Alexander Dash B40F
This vehicle was the first of a batch of six new buses 1723 - 1728 (K723 PNL - K728 PNL) delivered to Sunderland Busways in 1993.
It was named 'CITY OF SUNDERLAND' to commemorate the granting of City Status in 1992 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on the 40th anniversary of her accession to the throne.