Why not bring your vintage vehicle to the Recreation Ground, Seaburn on August Bank Holiday Monday?
This event will feature a selection of historic vehicles on display, trade stands, amusements for all and a free bus service around the local area.
The first bus will depart at 11:00 and departures will be every 30 minutes thereafter, until the last bus at 16:00.
Admission Charges Adult £3; Concessions/Child £2.
There is no charge for those who have entered a vehicle in the event.
To travel to the event by public transport catch Stagecoach North East services E1 or E2 or NexusBus service 558 which stop next to the site, or Stagecoach North East service E6 which stops close to the site.
For additional information on the location of Seaburn Recreation Ground, click here
Monday 31st August 2015
Time 10:00 AM
Austin 12/6 2 seater Gordon bodied coupe
Austin 12/4 Ascot
Nicely restored Austin 12/4 Ascot saloon in red over black
MG TA Sports Car
Jowett Bradford van
AEC Regent III 9612a NCB H30/26R
AEC Regent III with Northern Coachbuilders, was new as Newcastle Corporation 341 in 1950.
Austin K8 Plaxton Venturer coach body.
This small 14 seater coach was a Plaxton exhibit at the 1952 Commercial Motor Show, before being delivered to Scott's Greys of Darlington. The company was formed in 1919 by Fred Scott who died in 1952. The business was taken over by Reg and Marion Hunter and RHN 548 was their first new coach. It was sold to Grierson's Coaches of Fishburn in 1956 and in the late 1970's ended up in a scrapyard in Ossett. Rescued by enthusiasts in 1984 it was restored and is in preserved in its original livery. "Maid Marion" has been owned by Keith and Chris Kitching of Scarborough since 2005.
Seddon flat bed lorry
2 axle rigid body
Alan & Elsie Ellis
Scammell MU15 Ballast Truck
Ex Shellmex tanker unit. Converted to a ballast truck by present owner. Completely restored by the present owner in 2008.
Built to take shooting parties around a stately home in Scotland. Vehicle has only covered 24,000 mile. Restored by myself and is an ongoing restoration
Rover 90 P4
Morris Minor Saloon
Used regularly. Pulled out of garage 2013 where it stood since 1988.
Painted red/yellow noddy colours with noddy figures
A L Colquhoun
The vehicle was purchased in 1973 for the current owner's son. Column gear change converted to floor change. Semaphore signal changed to flashers. Further work is required.
MG Magnette ZB
I bought my Oxford in Newtonmore Scotland whilst working there in 1979. The car had been owned by the local Laird and had only covered 14,000 miles. Originally one colour Birch Grey, Triumph Slate Grey was added later.
AEC Reliance/Plaxton Consort coach
Millington) Classic Connections (Neil
New to Wallace Arnold in 1958 passing to numerous operators before entering preservation in the North East. Rallied by Wallace Arnold in 1996. Passed to present owner in 2005.
Owned since 1990
Ford Zephyr MKII Hi-line in Richmond Blue
Three owners from new. Spent most of its life in the Channel Islands. Converted to LPG gas. Restored over last winter
Sunbeam Alpine - 2 seat sports car
One of the first Alpines made, and now one of the few remaining from the first series.
Ford Zodiac Mk2
Albion Nimbus NS3N with Harrington DP30F body.
New to Western Welsh
Ford Consul Mk2
E J Weightman
Featured in the 1962 film "Jigsaw" driven by Jack Warner (Dixon of Dock Green) who takes the part of a detective inspector
Ford Consul Mk2
Jaguar 3.4 Mk2 saloon
Preserved by the current owner
Morris JB Post Office van
Ex GPO van. Last of the JBs. Spent all of its working life in Cardiff. Acquired for preservation by present owner 11 years ago
Hillman Super Minx Estate
Vauxhall PA Cresta
Ford Zodiac Mk2
Restored after 45 years off road. Shown with matching 1959 Triang Zephyr pedal car
Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III four-door saloon.
This was the last Rolls-Royce car completed in 1962. Previous owners include the Duke of Rutland.
Ford Consul Classic 1500 cc
Becoming quite rare. Sold new in Newcastle and spent all its life in the North East. Spent several years as a showpiece at Pattersons Ford garage at Shiremoor. Appeared in Heartbeat and several episodes of Inspector George Gently series 7 on BBC
Triumph Herald 1200 saloon car.
Ford Zodiac MK3
Preserved by the current owner
Scammell Scarab 6 ton tractor unit and trailer
Originally owned and operated by Leyland Motors first as an articulated vehicle for parts deliveries then converted to a flat bed / shunting tractor for use around the Leyland Motors plant. This included the removal of all coupling gear and associated equipment.
Restoration first took place from 1990-1994 where the vehicle remained in its altered state. Work commenced in late 2010 to start converting the vehicle back to its original form, capable of towing a Scammell coupling trailer, having all the coupling gear and all associated equipment re-fitted.
The vehicle was never registered by Leyland Motors and was registered for the first time in 1994 when the vehicle entered preservation. A local registration mark ?CU? was offered which is South Shields.
In 2011 it was restored to a fully working tractor unit and in early 2012 a genuine Scammell step frame trailer was found to tow behind. A short Scammell trailer was purchased from a farm near Lintz Green in 2013.
My Scammell Scarab has been attending rallies for 20 years and the first rally it ever attended was the 1995 Seaburn Rally.
Daimler CCG5 with Roe 61-seat highbridge double-deck body with open rear platform.
Aycliffe & District Bus Preservation Society (Peter Mitchell)
New to Darlington Corporation Transport and in service from 1964 until 1980. Purchased by ADBPS in 1980. It is unusual with its combination of Daimler chassis and Guy Arab driveline with Gardner 5LW engine and constant mesh gearbox.
Colin Winship Ron Horsfall
Hillman Minx Series V.
AEC Routemaster 3R2RH, Park Royal H41/31F
New to Northern General as fleet no. 2105; one of only 50 built for use outside London; used for medium-distance services until preserved in 1980. Restored in the original livery in which it entered service.
Daimler CCG6 with Roe double-deck body.
The bus appeared in the 1964 Earls Court Motor Show. It is a hybrid of Daimler chassis and Guy driveline with Gardner engine. It has appeared in a Tesco advert.
The vehicle was new to South Shields Corporation as No 140. On withdrawal, it was retained by Busways and later Stagecoach, and has been maintained by the 140 Group for 32 years. It has been in preservation longer than it was in service. The only double decker remaining in South Shields.
Ford Mustang V8 coupe
Purchased in 2014 after spending all its life with one owner in sunny California
Ford Mk1 Cortina Estate 1500 Deluxe
Morris LD Ambulance
Body by Wadham Stringer. Ex Sussex County Ambulance Service. Bought several years ago as a converted camper & restored to accident ambulance spec. Powered by BMC 2.2 petrol engine. This ambulance has appeared on several TV shows over the years.
Ford Cortina Mk1 1500 Super
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H40/32R
This Routemaster entered service as London Transport RML2551 in 1966, initially on route 6, and after refurbishment on route 12. Refurbishment was of both interior and of the driveline, when a Cummins engine replaced the AEC original. The current owner intends to preserve it with its route 12 branding.
Vauxhall Victor 101 Estate Ambulance
Reliant Scimitar Coupe
Morris Minor 1000
Two door Black saloon. We are the third owners from new and have owned "Myna" for 27 years, over half "her" lifetime.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H40/32R
New to London Transport as RML 2686, one of the last batch of RML's in service and latterly run by Arriva until the demise of RM operation in London. The bus was refurbished some years ago and was fitted with a Cummins engine, bought by Cooper of Annitsford, Northumberland, and acquired from them by present owner in 2005 after driving it up from London. On going restoration to its 1968 looks.
Bristol VRTLL Open Top
Chassis 117 ex Eastern Scottish passed to Southdown Motor Services Ltd in 1973 as a swap for a Bristol Lodekka and then to Alder Valley in 1980. It was converted to open top in 1983 and was withdrawn in February 1992. It then was used in Scarborough by Shoreline Suncruisers until 1997 when it passed to Lallys Coach Hire, Spiddal, County Galway, Republic of Ireland and was withdrawn from service in April 2000. It then returned to the UK for preservation
Austin A40 Farina
Morris Minor 1000 two door saloon
Owned since 2003 and was fully restored with a repaint in 2013. The original colour of Trafalgar blue was retained.
Renault R8 Gordini
Sports version of Renault 8. Used by Renault works rally team
ERF LV 3 car Transporter.
New to Bells of Ashington as a box van. As a result of a fire, it ended its life as a flat-bed lorry. Purchased by present owner in 2002 and converted to a car transporter, which is loaded with period BMC cars.
Triumph TR6 - 2 seat sports car
A very early TR6, which was supplied to the USA when new. Re-imported back to the UK
Ford Consul Corsair 2Ltr V4
Low mileage 2 owner totally original car
Ford Cortina 1600E 4 door saloon
Finished in rare Fern Green. 3 previous owners. 47,000 miles with history.
Sunbeam Alpine Fastback Coupe
Purchased in March 2015. Only 3 previous owners in North Yorkshire area. Quite a rare car now. Fully restored in 2000/1
Rover 2000 TC
Vauxhall Viva X14
Limited edition model in 1972, based on the Deluxe model, but with 14 extras. This was a manufacture special edition and not a dealer one.
Owned since 2001. New carbs, new engine fitted in 2003 )now on 12000 miles), new front/rear suspension, new brakes (discs & pads), electronic ignition and fuel pump, 12V battery.
Bristol RESL with Pennine bus bodywork.
New in 1971 to Burnley, Colne and Nelson, then passing to Burnley and Pendle with the reorganisation of local government. The bus was withdrawn from service 1983. Now carrying the livery used in 1980, it is the only survivor of this combination of chassis and body.
Owned since 2014. On going restoration
Modified 1300cc engine & servo assisted brakes in Old English White finish.
MGB GT Built in 1972 but not registered until March 1973. Last chrome bumper MGB variation before the change to rubber bumper. Restored 16 years ago by the previous owner. Member of the North East Restoration Club
Hillman Hunter GL saloon
Austin 1300 GT
Chris and Anne Jarvis
Karrier Bantam 'Chelsea' type Refuse Lorry
Originating in Cumberland as a flatbed coal lorry, it gained it's 'Chelsea' style refuse body for filming purposes before moving to the North East. Currently painted in Seaham Urban District Council livery, who used similar vehicles in the 1960s. The photo shows the vehicle with modified registration, when used for filming.
Bristol RELH6G ECW DP49F
SHN 80L (6080) was new to United in the summer of 1973. The vehicle spent the majority of its operating career working from Bishop Auckland depot and chiefly used on the Bishop Auckland to Newcastle service. The vehicle entered preservation upon withdrawal in 1987 and has a number of owners since then. The bus was repatriated to its native North East by its current owner of this year. The plan is to eventually repaint 6080 into NBC poppy red and white, the livery the bus wore whist operating for United.
Mercury Montego MX
R L Hauxwell (Snr)
5.8 V8 3 Speed Auto. Twin mufflers. Holley Carb. Came to UK in 1979. As far as we know and the DVLA, it is the only 4 door sedan of this model in the UK.
Ford Transit Mk 1 Ambulance
Only 13,000 miles from new. worked from an MOD munitions factory until 2002. Has appeared in "The Bank Job" with Jason Statham, Heartbeat, The Royal and Inspector George Gently
Ford Escort MK1 RS 2000
One of the last MK1 Escorts before MK2 launched. Finished in Ermine White with Blue trim
Citroen D Super saloon
Paris built car used in the Dordogne until 2001 then imported to the UK.
Triumph 2000 Mk 2 saloon
Bill and Ena Hutchinson
The car has been in the possession of the current owner for 30 years.
Owned since 2008. Has been exhibited at many local shows, members of the North East Restoration Club
Former Devon General bus now preserved in the North East
Reliant Super Robin 850
William L Briggs
Owned since 1983, used as everyday transport for owner when a bus driver, still going well today. Very well maintained by myself former mechanic come bus driver
Pillgrim Bulldog Kit Car
Bristol VRT Northern Counties H43/31F
New to Cleveland Transit as their H106 in 1977. A typical Northern Counties body but unusually on a Bristol VRT/SL3 chassis. Worked from both Middlesbrough and Stockton Depots.
Withdrawn in 1989 and sold on to Jones of Llanfaethlu on Anglesey for further service. Recovered by the 500 Group in 2006, apparently not needing too much work!
After an eight year rebuild involving many thousands of hours work by a dedicated volunteer team and a 5 figure cost, she debuted in preservation at the Stagecoach Stockton Depot Open day in September 2014. Now entering her 3rd season on the rally circuit.
Jaguar XJ6 4.2 Coupe
David B J Dartnall
New to R Budge heavy haulage as a 6x4 unit then onto West of Scotland before being used to haul trailers for the American Circus. Purchased and converted to a recovery vehicle ending up at Alpha Recovery before being purchased by myself
Land Rover Series III 109" HCB/Angus L4P Fire Appliance
New to British Steel's Barrow works, Cumbria in 1978 until sold to Bowater Tissue Manufacturers, Barrow-in-Furness, in 1983. Passed to a major motor museum in early 2001 but sold in late 2001 to the current owner who has restored it to running order. Total mileage is only 11,800 miles.
Leyland Leopard/Plaxton Supreme C53F
Plaxton Supreme IV bodywork, ex National Express (East Yorkshire). It then went to Cherry Coaches of Hull, before returning to East Yorkshire Motor Services, it spent some it's later years with Lee's of Durham, Classic of Annfield Plain, and Scarlet Band Coaches all in the Durham area, before being preserved by the present owner Mr Tony Hull.
Reliant Scimitar SE6A Auto 3.0 Litre V6
Vehicle acquired in October 2013 from Kilmarnock as a running restoration. Vehicle has low mileage for age, only 36k miles. Running restoration currently in progress including rectifying fibre glass bodywork imperfections.
Bristol LH6L ECW B43F
New To Bristol Omnibus. Worked at Solent Blue Line, Hampshire Bus, TMS, EYMS. Became static living accommodation.
Leyland Atlantean AN68C/2R with Alexander double-deck body.
Treble One Group (Dave Hemsley)
New to Tyne and Wear PTE in 1981; it passed to Busways in 1986. It worked first at City Busways from Byker then most of its time at Slatyford on Fastline services. It had brief spells on Magicbus and at Sunderland and ended up at Stagecoach Transit from where it was bought by the Treble-one Group in 2004.
It is restored in Newcastle Busways livery.
Leyland National 2 (11.6m)B49F.
Hull Bus Restorers
Ex East Yorkshire 188, this vehicle is historically significant as the first production Mark 2 Leyland National by chassis number.
Morris Marina 440 7cwt Van
Purchased new by the current owner for his carpet business. Used as a private vehicle from 2000. First entered in classic shows from 2004. Won various other awards. Also won its class at the Tyne Tees Run for the last 7 years.
Leyland National MK2 B49F
FTN708W was new to Northern General in 1981.
The bus remained within the old Sunderland and District area until withdrawal in 2003. The bus was acquired for preservation in 2007, and since that time has undergone an extensive rebuild due to serious corrosion that was present to the body.
Initially presented last season in Tyne and Wear PTE livery, the bus has been professionally repainted into Go Wear Buses livery, over the winter season.
Leyland National 2 B49F. Repowered with Volvo THD100E engine and Voith 851.2 gearbox
Northern National Restoration Group (Craig Smith)
New to Philadelphia Depot of NBC Northern in June 1981.
FTN 710W is one of only 6 National 2/2's to stay in the Wear District all her PSV life. After her withdrawal from Deptford in 2002 she was used as a driver trainer at Gateshead Depot until 2006.
In 2006 4710 was donated to the NEBPT by Go Ahead CEO Christopher Moyes. After restoration 4710 was rolled out at the MetroCentre event in 2008.
After that years season 4710 was mothballed until her sale in 2013 to the Northern National Restoration Group.
Now in her 5th year of ownership 4710 has again had major work done over the last 6 months. She has had a full repaint into the iconic livery of poppy red with NBC Northern fleet names.
Reliant Scimitar GTC
Ford Cortina MK 5 Crusader 1.6
Standard unmolested Cortina Crusader in near original condition
Dennis RS/SS Pump Escape Fire Engine
New in 1982 to East Sussex Fire Brigade in Brighton, equipped and operational, attended the 1984 IRA Brighton Grand Hotel bombing. Brighton was one of the last Brigades to operate and keep the pump escapes. 10.5 diesel engine automatic. 50 FT ladder.
Ford Cortina MK5
Very good condition last model of the MK5s 16 crusader
Ford Escort RS1600i Black
Ford RS Owners Club (Paul Gatenby)
Bedford CF 350
Pick up Tipper Livery of Barnfather & Wilkes
R L Hauxwell (Jnr)
Ex Army (Royal Marines) was soft top radio truck. Usual Landrover gearing 4WD, Hi-Low, Diff locks etc, 2,250cc BMC diesel engine. One of only 11 where no information is available.
MCW Metrobus Mark 2, ex Northern 3501 with MCW bodywork H46/31F
New on the 12th June 1983, as the first Mark 2 Metrobus to be delivered to Northern and also the National Bus Company. Delivered in NBC poppy red, this vehicle was one of only 12 Metrobuses painted in this livery from new. 3501's first depot allocation was Chester le Street, and moved to Murton Depot after a year at it's previous depot, remained here until Murton closed. 3501 was withdrawn in 2000, and after restored won the best 1980's double decker award at Showbus Rally in Duxford in 2009.
The bus is powered by Gardner engine linked to a 4 speed Voith gearbox.
The vehicle is fully restored in "as new" condition.
The bus was withdrawn fifteen years ago and has been in preservation with its current owner ever since.
New in 1984, ran between North West and London on Rapide services for Ribble. Purchased from Fosters of Hetton in 1994 and still in semi use. Named Lady Pamela. This vehicle was completely refurbished in 2006.
BMW 316 Four door saloon
This extremely original example of a BMW E30 3-Series was acquired in January 2013. Only 3 previous owners and a genuine 67,000 miles from new
Jaguar XJS HE V12 Coupe
This car was done up as a one off from new
Chevrolet Grumman LLV. US Postal Services Van
Paul & Sue Gray
US Postal Services Van. Right Hand drive as standard. Believed to be only one of 4 in the UK.
Dennis Dart 9.8SDL Alexander Dash B40F
Just The Ticket Bus Preservation (Derek Thompson)
Dennis Dart 9.8SDL Alexander Dash B40F
This vehicle was the first of a batch of six new buses 1723 - 1728 (K723 PNL - K728 PNL) delivered to Sunderland Busways in 1993.
It was named 'CITY OF SUNDERLAND' to commemorate the granting of City Status in 1992 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on the 40th anniversary of her accession to the throne.
Rover Mini Italian Job
Original condition 7,000 miles from new
Vauxhall Cavalier GLS hatchback
Dennis Dart SLF Alexander ALX200
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
Delivered to Sunderland depot in 1997 this bus was the first low floor easy access "Loliner" in the Stagecoach Busways fleet. It was originally numbered 1101 and will revert to this number when fully restored. It operated from almost every depot in the Stagecoach North East area prior to withdrawal from active service.
Volvo Olympian Palatine II
County Durham Bus Preservation Group
3833 was acquired from Go North East in November last year. The members of the County Durham Bus Preservation Group felt this vehicle should be secured for preservation, as it was the last step entrance vehicle bought new by Go North East.
The bus appears in its "acquired" state, but will be eventually restored into Go Coastline livery as it was when brand new.
Ford Mustang Convertible - 35th anniversary edition - Red