Bristol L5G with Eastern Coachworks single-deck bus body.
The bus was new to United in the summer of 1947, with fleet number BLO 202. It was allocated to subsidiary company Bell's Services of Westerhope, Newcastle carrying the standard red and cream livery. Next, in 1951, it was returned to the main United fleet as BG 216. In 1959, the bus was transferred from United to subsidiary company Durham District Services, with whom it ran in green and cream livery, numbered DB 216. It was sold for preservation in 1968.
AEC Regent III 9612a NCB H30/26R
AEC Regent III with Northern Coachbuilders, was new as Newcastle Corporation 341 in 1950.
Rover P4 90
Morris Oxford series II saloon
The vehicle was owned by a farmer's wife in Scotland for 30 years. It was restored 15 years ago by a previous owner.
Karrier BFD3023 Plaxton C14F
New to Brocksbank of Leeds, Original reg 6666 U, later BVH 157A, formerly owned by John Hogarth and Ray Thornton. Some restoration work recently carried out at Gardiners of Spennymoor.
Dennis Loline (Gardner 6LW engine) with Northern Counties double-deck H36/31RD body
This bus was an exhibit at the Earls Court Motor Show when new. and entered service as Middlesbrough 99. It was taken out of service in 1972 and sold to a Scottish operator. It was rescued from scrap and rebuilt to emerge on the rally scene in 1998.
Leyland Atlantean PDR1/1 with Alexander double-deck body.
The bus was new to Newcastle Corporation and was operated until 1977. It was bought for preservation by the Four to One Group, who carried out much work on it. It later passed to Jimmy Storey who completed the restoration work.
Leyland Leopard PSU3/3RT, Alexander DP51F
New to Venture Transport as fleet no. 249, passing to Northern as 2830, later 4264. Withdrawn in 1980 and sold to APT, Lincoln. Purchased by the late Michael Reed and partly restored. Completely restored to as-new condition over a couple of years.
AEC Routemaster 3R2RH, Park Royal H41/31F
New to Northern General as fleet no. 2105; one of only 50 built for use outside London; used for medium-distance services until preserved in 1980. Restored in the original livery in which it entered service.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H06/00R
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
This Routemaster entered service as London Transport RML2530 in 1966 and was latterly a First Group bus at Centrewest. After withdrawal in 2004 it passed via Ensign to Gillingham Football Club and was converted to a promotional vehicle with a trailer, having conversion work carried out by South East Coachworks. It was acquired by McCains in 2007 and converted into 'The Potato Bus', which travelled extensively around the country promoting McCains and explaining the story of the potato to school children, most of whom did not know that chips were made from potatoes! It was acquired by Rydale Folk Museum at Hutton-le-Hole near Pickering from McCain?s in October 2010. Following an enquiry from Keith Kitching of Scarborough it was acquired by the NEBPT in April 2012
Previously registered KLY 1D
Bristol VRTLL Open Top
Chassis 117 ex Eastern Scottish passed to Southdown Motor Services Ltd in 1973 as a swap for a Bristol Lodekka and then to Alder Valley in 1980. It was converted to open top in 1983 and was withdrawn in February 1992. It then was used in Scarborough by Shoreline Suncruisers until 1997 when it passed to Lallys Coach Hire, Spiddal, County Galway, Republic of Ireland and was withdrawn from service in April 2000. It then returned to the UK for preservation
Bristol LHS6L with Marshall single-deck bus body.
Aycliffe & District Bus Preservation Society (Peter Mitchell)
First registered in 1969 by Southern Vectis. It was last in service with United in 1984. The vehicle was restored to 'Newtonian' livery in 1998 as part of the 50th anniversary of the founding of the new town of Newton Aycliffe. Purchased by the society because of its association with the Newtonian service between 1981 and 1984. It was the precursor of the Roadranger services. The vehicle was returned to its original United livery by the Society when acquired in 1984.
The bus is unusual because of its body design by Marshalls of Cambridge who are a well known for specialist vehicles and aircraft conversions.
Regular drivers of LH vehicles compliment the condition of the vehicle. The type was noted for its heavy steering, manual gear change and a 'bouncy' suspension.
AEC Reliance 6U3ZR, Alexander Y B57F
The only 12m Alexander Y type bus seat built. New to RTITB as a training vehicle and not used as a PSV until 2002 when entered service with WJC Buses
JGH 601 K
Austin FX4 London Taxi
Early Austin FX4 London type Taxi powered by the B.M.C. 2.2 Diesel engine. Owned since 1990 about to undergo a full body & chassis restoration.
Bristol RELH6G ECW DP49F
SHN 80L (6080) was new to United in the summer of 1973. The vehicle spent the majority of its operating career working from Bishop Auckland depot and chiefly used on the Bishop Auckland to Newcastle service. The vehicle entered preservation upon withdrawal in 1987 and has a number of owners since then. The bus was repatriated to its native North East by its current owner of this year. The plan is to eventually repaint 6080 into NBC poppy red and white, the livery the bus wore whist operating for United.
Bristol VRT Northern Counties H43/31F
New to Cleveland Transit as their H106 in 1977. A typical Northern Counties body but unusually on a Bristol VRT/SL3 chassis. Worked from both Middlesbrough and Stockton Depots.
Withdrawn in 1989 and sold on to Jones of Llanfaethlu on Anglesey for further service. Recovered by the 500 Group in 2006, apparently not needing too much work!
After an eight year rebuild involving many thousands of hours work by a dedicated volunteer team and a 5 figure cost, she debuted in preservation at the Stagecoach Stockton Depot Open day in September 2014. Now entering her 3rd season on the rally circuit.
Leyland Atlantean AN68A/2R Alexander 86-seat double-deck bodywork.
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
This Tyne and Wear standard Leyland Atlantean entered service based at South Shields, and passed to South Shields Busways after deregulation in 1986. It is preserved in the livery of South Shields Busways.
Leyland Atlantean AN68B/1R Roe H43/30F
New to Northern General in 1980
Leyland Atlantean AN68C/2R Alexander H49/37F
Morris Marina 440 7cwt Van
Purchased new by the current owner for his carpet business. Used as a private vehicle from 2000. First entered in classic shows from 2004. Won various other awards. Also won its class at the Tyne Tees Run for the last 7 years.
Leyland National MK2 B49F
FTN708W was new to Northern General in 1981.
The bus remained within the old Sunderland and District area until withdrawal in 2003. The bus was acquired for preservation in 2007, and since that time has undergone an extensive rebuild due to serious corrosion that was present to the body.
Initially presented last season in Tyne and Wear PTE livery, the bus has been professionally repainted into Go Wear Buses livery, over the winter season.
Leyland National 2 B49F. Repowered with Volvo THD100E engine and Voith 851.2 gearbox
Northern National Restoration Group (Craig Smith)
New to Philadelphia Depot of NBC Northern in June 1981.
FTN 710W is one of only 5 National 2/2's to stay in the Wear District all her PSV life. After her withdrawal from Deptford in 2002 she was used as a driver trainer at Gateshead Depot until 2006.
In 2006 4710 was donated to the NEBPT by Go Ahead CEO Christopher Moyes. After restoration 4710 was rolled out at the MetroCentre event in 2008.
After that years season 4710 was mothballed until her sale in 2013 to the Northern National Restoration Group.
She has been overhauled over each winter up to this year. Now in her 6th year with the NNRG she is still a popular attraction at transport and other public events. New for this year are the period side advert that have been reproduced to exact ones NBC National 2 carried just after deregulation in 1986.
Reliant Scimitar GTC
Leyland Tiger Plaxton Supreme C49F
Chesterfield 123 Preservation Group (Dennis Vickers)
This was new as ANK 320X to Biss Brothers of Bishop Stortford. In 1983 she was bought by Snells of Newton Abbot, and in 1986 she passed to Chesterfield Transport Ltd, who registered her 283 URB.
In 1990 she was re-registered RHE 969X and sold to Caring Coaches of Bolsover, near Chesterfield, and this company in turn was acquired by Coopers Coaches of Killamarsh, Sheffield in 2002.
Coopers kept her in excellent condition and sold her to the Chesterfield 123 Preservation Group in 2012, for preservation.
Stagecoach in Yorkshire, who absorbed Chesterfield Transport kindly allowed us to once again use the 283 URB registration, and she has been repainted into her Chesterfield Transport livery.
MCW Metrobus Mark 2, ex Northern 3501 with MCW bodywork H46/31F
New on the 12th June 1983, as the first Mark 2 Metrobus to be delivered to Northern and also the National Bus Company. Delivered in NBC poppy red, this vehicle was one of only 12 Metrobuses painted in this livery from new. 3501's first depot allocation was Chester le Street, and moved to Murton Depot after a year at it's previous depot, remained here until Murton closed. 3501 was withdrawn in 2000, and after restored won the best 1980's double decker award at Showbus Rally in Duxford in 2009.
The bus is powered by Gardner engine linked to a 4 speed Voith gearbox.
The vehicle is fully restored in "as new" condition.
The bus was withdrawn fifteen years ago and has been in preservation with its current owner ever since.
Leyland Olympian with ECW body.
New to West Yorkshire Road Car Ltd.
Leyland Olympian ECW H45/31F
Northern 3656, was delivered in Tyne and Wear PTE livery in 1985, 3656 was new to Gateshead Depot, one of a batch of vehicles popular with drivers as the vehicle is powered by a Cummins L10 engine linked to a 4 speed Voith gearbox, giving great performance on the steep hills around Gateshead.
The bus was purchased for preservation in August 2010 from Redfern Travel and has been restored in full Tyne & Wear PTE livery, as delivered.
Plaxton Paramount 3500 Volvo B10M
Dennis Dart 9.8SDL Alexander Dash B40F
Just The Ticket Bus Preservation (Derek Thompson)
Dennis Dart 9.8SDL Alexander Dash B40F
This vehicle was the first of a batch of six new buses 1723 - 1728 (K723 PNL - K728 PNL) delivered to Sunderland Busways in 1993.
It was named 'CITY OF SUNDERLAND' to commemorate the granting of City Status in 1992 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on the 40th anniversary of her accession to the throne.
DAF MB230 Vanhool Alizee
A-Line Coaches, L B & D C Annis
Ex K551 RJX new to Welsh's, Upton, West Yorkshire
Dennis Dart SLF Alexander ALX200
Delivered to Sunderland depot in 1997 this bus was the first low floor easy access "Loliner" in the Stagecoach Busways fleet. It was originally numbered 1101 and will revert to this number when fully restored. It operated from almost every depot in the Stagecoach North East area prior to withdrawal from active service.
Volvo Olympian Palatine II
County Durham Bus Preservation Group
3833 was acquired from Go North East in November last year. The members of the County Durham Bus Preservation Group felt this vehicle should be secured for preservation, as it was the last step entrance vehicle bought new by Go North East.
The bus appears in its "acquired" state, but will be eventually restored into Go Coastline livery as it was when brand new.
A-Line Coaches, L B & D C Annis
Original registration V79 JKG new to Bebb, Llantwit Fardre