Why not bring your vintage vehicle to the Recreation Ground, Seaburn on August Bank Holiday Monday?
This event will feature a selection of historic vehicles on display, trade stands, amusements for all and a free bus service around the local area.
The first bus will depart at 11:00 and departures will be every 30 minutes thereafter, until the last bus at 16:00.
Admission Charges Adult £3; Concessions/Child £2.
There is no charge for those who have entered a vehicle in the event.
To travel to the event by public transport catch Stagecoach North East services E1 or E2 or NexusBus service 558 which stop next to the site, or Stagecoach North East service E6 which stops close to the site.
For additional information on the location of Seaburn Recreation Ground, click here
Monday 29th August 2016
Bedford CA Panel van - Unrestored
Durham Mini Club
Selection of classic minis from threw the years
Lea-Francis 12/40 P Type
Been in use by us for over 25 years. Is subject to a running restoration
Singer nine sports 4 seater
Austin 12/6 2 seater Gordon bodied coupe
Austin 12/4 Ascot
Nicely restored Austin 12/4 Ascot saloon in red over black
Bristol L5G with Eastern Coachworks single-deck bus body.
The bus was new to United in the summer of 1947, with fleet number BLO 202. It was allocated to subsidiary company Bell's Services of Westerhope, Newcastle carrying the standard red and cream livery. Next, in 1951, it was returned to the main United fleet as BG 216. In 1959, the bus was transferred from United to subsidiary company Durham District Services, with whom it ran in green and cream livery, numbered DB 216. It was sold for preservation in 1968.
AEC Regent III 9612a NCB H30/26R
AEC Regent III with Northern Coachbuilders, was new as Newcastle Corporation 341 in 1950.
Scammel Showman's Tractor
New in 1952 to Guinness of London, sold to Ken Furborough of Leicester (Showman) and was used to travel the Big Wheel between fairgrounds
Riley RME saloon, 1.5 litre.
Purchased for £180 in 1983 the car was fully restored over the next seven years passing its MOT first time. It is unusual in having a late RME body with early RME wings and running boards and is thought to be a special factory order. Since restoration it has won many shows and awards.
Scammell MU15 Ballast Truck
Ex Shellmex tanker unit. Converted to a ballast truck by present owner. Completely restored by the present owner in 2008.
Built to take shooting parties around a stately home in Scotland. Vehicle has only covered 24,000 mile. Restored by myself and is an ongoing restoration
Rover P4 90
Morris Oxford series II saloon
The vehicle was owned by a farmer's wife in Scotland for 30 years. It was restored 15 years ago by a previous owner.
A L Colquhoun
The vehicle was purchased in 1973 for the current owner's son. Column gear change converted to floor change. Semaphore signal changed to flashers. Further work is required.
One of the last split screen models. The car is very original and has never had any welding repairs. Has been repainted in 2 Pack. To date the car has done 16,000 miles.
Morris Minor Convertible
AEC Reliance/Plaxton Consort coach
Millington) Classic Connections (Neil
New to Wallace Arnold in 1958 passing to numerous operators before entering preservation in the North East. Rallied by Wallace Arnold in 1996. Passed to present owner in 2005.
Owned since 1990
Karrier BFD3023 Plaxton C14F
New to Brocksbank of Leeds, Original reg 6666 U, later BVH 157A, formerly owned by John Hogarth and Ray Thornton. Some restoration work recently carried out at Gardiners of Spennymoor.
Sunbeam Alpine - 2 seat sports car
One of the first Alpines made, and now one of the few remaining from the first series.
Dennis Loline (Gardner 6LW engine) with Northern Counties double-deck H36/31RD body
The first of nine Dennis Lolines purchased by Middlesbrough Corporation to allow a normal seating layout in a double-decker low enough to pass under the Middlesbrough Station (Albert) bridge. It was the only one of the nine to have an open rear platform and was exhibited at the 1958 EarlÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Court Commercial Motor Show.
Withdrawn from service in 1970, she was acquired by a Scottish independent operator, initially running on hire to, and later sold to the Bellshill Bingorama Ltd. operation.
Saved from a scrapyard at the last minute by Ron Maybray in 1977, she was moved to Derby and stored in his garden pending restoration!
In 1991 she was purchased by the 500 Group for a nominal fee on condition that she was restored to as new condition. She was restored in time for her fortieth birthday in 1998. The bus has now spent far longer with the 500 Group than it did in commercial use! She has attended many rallies and other events over the years but is mainly used for ceremonial duties these days.
Ford Zodiac Mk2
Ford Consul Mk2
Bristol MW6G with ECW C39F bodywork.
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
This vehicle was new to West Yorks RCC as fleet no. CUG 27. It was withdrawn from service in September 1973, and passed through a number of private owners until acquired by the late Chris Moyes in 1996. Thoroughly overhauled by Go-Ahead and extensively rallied, this vehicle later passed to NEBPT ownership.
Jaguar 3.4 Mk2 saloon
Has been restored. Owned the car for 12 years
Morris JB Post Office van
Ex GPO van. Last of the JBs. Spent all of its working life in Cardiff. Acquired for preservation by present owner 11 years ago
Vauxhall PA Cresta
Discovered in a scrapyard in Lincolnshire and rebuilt over 10 years in spare time
Bristol SUL4A, ECW B36F
New to the West Yorkshire Road Car Company and ran from Malton and York depots. Withdrawn in 1972 and sold via a dealer to Wolfreton School, Hull. Later sold to BP Chemicals at Saltend Refinery and used on internal works transport within the plant. Presented by BP for preservation in 1983 and kept at Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum, where some restoration work was carried out, but this was not completed and it passed to the present owner in 1993 in a generally poor condition. Since acquisition much restoration work has been carried out and the vehicle is now tested to full PSV standard once again, although only used to attend rallies and running days
Ford Zodiac Mk2
Restored after 45 years off road.
Leyland Leopard PSU3/3RT, Alexander DP51F
New to Venture Transport as fleet no. 249, passing to Northern as 2830, later 4264. Withdrawn in 1980 and sold to APT, Lincoln. Purchased by the late Michael Reed and partly restored. Completely restored to as-new condition over a couple of years.
Cadillac '62' Series
Daimler CCG5 with Roe 61-seat highbridge double-deck body with open rear platform.
Aycliffe & District Bus Preservation Society
New to Darlington Corporation Transport and in service from 1964 until 1980. Purchased by ADBPS in 1980. It is unusual with its combination of Daimler chassis and Guy Arab driveline with Gardner 5LW engine and constant mesh gearbox.
Daimler CCG6 with Roe double-deck body.
The bus appeared in the 1964 Earls Court Motor Show. It is a hybrid of Daimler chassis and Guy driveline with Gardner engine. It has appeared in a Tesco advert.
The vehicle was new to South Shields Corporation as No 140. On withdrawal, it was retained by Busways and later Stagecoach, and has been maintained by the 140 Group for 32 years. It has been in preservation longer than it was in service. The only double decker remaining in South Shields.
Ford Mk1 Cortina Estate 1500 Deluxe
1 owner before myself. Has been completely restored including Engine, Gearbox, Diff, all Suspension and Steering and just about every panel replaced. and its turned out just fine
Morris LD Ambulance
Body by Wadham Stringer. Ex Sussex County Ambulance Service. Bought several years ago as a converted camper & restored to accident ambulance spec. Powered by BMC 2.2 petrol engine. This ambulance has appeared on several TV shows over the years.
Leyland Panther PSUR1/1R Strachan B47D
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
New to Sunderland Corporation as No. 53. Sold to Tyne and Wear Museums on withdrawal from service passing the present owner in 1992 and rallied extensively since then.
Acquired by the NEBPT in 2018
Ford Mustang GT Coupe
Ford Cortina Mk1 1500 Super
Morris Oxford Saloon
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H06/00R
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
This Routemaster entered service as London Transport RML2530 in 1966 and was latterly a First Group bus at Centrewest. After withdrawal in 2004 it passed via Ensign to Gillingham Football Club and was converted to a promotional vehicle with a trailer, having conversion work carried out by South East Coachworks. It was acquired by McCains in 2007 and converted into 'The Potato Bus', which travelled extensively around the country promoting McCains and explaining the story of the potato to school children, most of whom did not know that chips were made from potatoes! It was acquired by Rydale Folk Museum at Hutton-le-Hole near Pickering from McCain?s in October 2010. Following an enquiry from Keith Kitching of Scarborough it was acquired by the NEBPT in April 2012
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H40/32R
This Routemaster entered service as London Transport RML2551 in 1966, initially on route 6, and after refurbishment on route 12. Refurbishment was of both interior and of the driveline, when a Cummins engine replaced the AEC original. The current owner intends to preserve it with its route 12 branding.
Vauxhall Victor 101 Estate Ambulance
Owned for 35 years
Daimler 2.5 V8 Gun metal grey metallic
Having an excellent history file showing the car has been well maintained and kept as original as possible.
Bristol VRTLL Open Top
Chassis 117 ex Eastern Scottish passed to Southdown Motor Services Ltd in 1973 as a swap for a Bristol Lodekka and then to Alder Valley in 1980. It was converted to open top in 1983 and was withdrawn in February 1992. It then was used in Scarborough by Shoreline Suncruisers until 1997 when it passed to Lallys Coach Hire, Spiddal, County Galway, Republic of Ireland and was withdrawn from service in April 2000. It then returned to the UK for preservation
Austin A40 Farina Saloon
Renault R8 Gordini
Sports version of Renault 8. Used by Renault works rally team
Bristol LHS6L with Marshall single-deck bus body.
Aycliffe & District Bus Preservation Society
First registered in 1969 by Southern Vectis. It was last in service with United in 1984. The vehicle was restored to 'Newtonian' livery in 1998 as part of the 50th anniversary of the founding of the new town of Newton Aycliffe. Purchased by the society because of its association with the Newtonian service between 1981 and 1984. It was the precursor of the Roadranger services. The vehicle was returned to its original United livery by the Society when acquired in 1984.
The bus is unusual because of its body design by Marshalls of Cambridge who are a well known for specialist vehicles and aircraft conversions.
Regular drivers of LH vehicles compliment the condition of the vehicle. The type was noted for its heavy steering, manual gear change and a 'bouncy' suspension.
ERF LV 3 car Transporter.
New to Bells of Ashington as a box van. As a result of a fire, it ended its life as a flat-bed lorry. Purchased by present owner in 2002 and converted to a car transporter, which is loaded with period BMC cars.
Triumph TR6 - 2 seat sports car
A very early TR6, which was supplied to the USA when new. Re-imported back to the UK
MGC in Red
Recently bought has been OF for 34 years
Vauxhall Viva HB Estate
Formerly YLT 323H
Jensen FF II
Ford Cortina 1600E 4 door saloon
Finished in rare Fern Green. 3 previous owners. 47,000 miles with history.
Sunbeam Alpine Fastback Coupe
Purchased in March 2015. Only 3 previous owners in North Yorkshire area. Quite a rare car now. Fully restored in 2000/1
Morris 1300 Auto
27,000 miles only
Vauxhall Viva X14
Limited edition model in 1972, based on the Deluxe model, but with 14 extras. This was a manufacture special edition and not a dealer one.
Mk3 Ford Cortina Saloon
Owned since 2014. On going restoration
Modified 1300cc engine & servo assisted brakes in Old English White finish.
Ford Granada Mk1 Consul GT
Rare very early model of the Mk I Consul GT, production of this model only started in August 1972.
Vauxhall FE Victor 2300cc Saloon
Manufactured 1972, registered 1973. Owned since 1975. Original except for 2 front wings fitted 1989.
JGH 601 K
Austin FX4 London Taxi
Early Austin FX4 London type Taxi powered by the B.M.C. 2.2 Diesel engine. Owned since 1990 about to undergo a full body & chassis restoration.
Hillman Hunter GL saloon
Austin 1300 GT
Chris and Anne Jarvis
MG B Roadster
Restored in 2013
Owned for the last 3 years, engine o/hauled 2016, new rear suspension, new clutch, electronic ignition, interior upgrade and alloy wheels
Karrier Bantam 'Chelsea' type Refuse Lorry
Originating in Cumberland as a flatbed coal lorry, it gained it's 'Chelsea' style refuse body for filming purposes before moving to the North East. Currently painted in Seaham Urban District Council livery, who used similar vehicles in the 1960s. The photo shows the vehicle with modified registration, when used for filming.
Bristol RELH6G ECW DP49F
SHN 80L (6080) was new to United in the summer of 1973. The vehicle spent the majority of its operating career working from Bishop Auckland depot and chiefly used on the Bishop Auckland to Newcastle service. The vehicle entered preservation upon withdrawal in 1987 and has a number of owners since then. The bus was repatriated to its native North East by its current owner of this year. The plan is to eventually repaint 6080 into NBC poppy red and white, the livery the bus wore whist operating for United.
MG BGT V8
2nd Owner. Purchased in 2000. Standard as it left the factory other than telescopic rear shockers & stainless steel exhaust system.
Ford Transit Mk 1 Ambulance
Only 13,000 miles from new. worked from an MOD munitions factory until 2002. Has appeared in "The Bank Job" with Jason Statham, Heartbeat, The Royal and Inspector George Gently
Citroen D Super saloon
Paris built car used in the Dordogne until 2001 then imported to the UK.
Ford Cortina GT 2000 2 door
Triumph 2000 Mk 2 saloon
Bill and Ena Hutchinson
The car has been in the possession of the current owner for 30 years.
Owned for the last 10 years having attended this show many times.
Reliant Super Robin 850
William L Briggs
Owned since 1983, used as everyday transport for owner when a bus driver, still going well today. Very well maintained by myself former mechanic come bus driver
New to R Budge heavy haulage as a 6x4 unit then onto West of Scotland before being used to haul trailers for the American Circus. Purchased and converted to a recovery vehicle ending up at Alpha Recovery before being purchased by myself
Ford Escort Mk2 Popular Plus 1.3
A rare original unrestored 1978 Ford Escort Popular Plus 1.3 with only 1 previous owner and with 8,900 miles on the clock (genuine). Still in excellent standard condition.
Leyland Leopard with Plaxton Paramount body
New to Bristol Omnibus Company with a Plazton Supreme body, but following a serious fire it was rebodied with a Paramount body and entered service as 2098. After many years with Bristol Omnibus Company and Badgerline the vehicle passed to Brewers, then to Western National until being withdrawn in 2003. It was rescued by Gary Williams and subsequently sold to Kelvin Amos, being supported by a 'Friends of 2098' group
Leyland Atlantean AN68A/2R Alexander H49/37F
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
This Tyne and Wear standard Leyland Atlantean entered service based at South Shields, and passed to South Shields Busways after deregulation in 1986. It is preserved in the livery of South Shields Busways.
Leyland Atlantean AN68B/1R Roe H43/30F
New to Northern General in 1980
Leyland Atlantean AN68C/2R with Alexander double-deck body.
Treble One Group (M Mackenzie)
New to Tyne and Wear PTE in 1981; it passed to Busways in 1986. It worked first at City Busways from Byker then most of its time at Slatyford on Fastline services. It had brief spells on Magicbus and at Sunderland and ended up at Stagecoach Transit from where it was bought by the Treble-one Group in 2004.
It is restored in Newcastle Busways livery.
Leyland National 2 (11.6m)B49F.
Hull Bus Restorers
Ex East Yorkshire 188, this vehicle is historically significant as the first production Mark 2 Leyland National by chassis number.
Morris Marina 440 7cwt Van
Purchased new by the current owner for his carpet business. Used as a private vehicle from 2000. First entered in classic shows from 2004. Won various other awards. Also won its class at the Tyne Tees Run for the last 7 years.
Leyland National MK2 B49F
FTN708W was new to Northern General in 1981.
The bus remained within the old Sunderland and District area until withdrawal in 2003. The bus was acquired for preservation in 2007, and since that time has undergone an extensive rebuild due to serious corrosion that was present to the body.
Initially presented last season in Tyne and Wear PTE livery, the bus has been professionally repainted into Go Wear Buses livery, over the winter season.
Reliant Scimitar GTC
Ford Cortina Mk5 2.0 Ghia
Just finished an 18 month full Restoration
Land Rover Series 3
Land Rover now running a Discovery 200DI diesel Engine on a new chassis stainless hand built exhaust and a built in cooking stove on the rear door
Dennis RS/SS Pump Escape Fire Engine
New in 1982 to East Sussex Fire Brigade in Brighton, equipped and operational, attended the 1984 IRA Brighton Grand Hotel bombing. Brighton was one of the last Brigades to operate and keep the pump escapes. 10.5 litre diesel engine, automatic, 12.5 Tons in weight, 50 FT ladder & 9 miles to the gallon.
Ford Cortina MK5
Very good condition last model of the MK5s 16 crusader
Bedford CF 350
Pick up Tipper Livery of Barnfather & Wilkes
MCW Metrobus Mark 2, ex Northern 3501 with MCW bodywork H46/31F
New on the 12th June 1983, as the first Mark 2 Metrobus to be delivered to Northern and also the National Bus Company. Delivered in NBC poppy red, this vehicle was one of only 12 Metrobuses painted in this livery from new. 3501's first depot allocation was Chester le Street, and moved to Murton Depot after a year at it's previous depot, remained here until Murton closed. 3501 was withdrawn in 2000, and after restored won the best 1980's double decker award at Showbus Rally in Duxford in 2009.
The bus is powered by Gardner engine linked to a 4 speed Voith gearbox.
The vehicle is fully restored in "as new" condition.
The bus was withdrawn fifteen years ago and has been in preservation with its current owner ever since.
New in 1984, ran between North West and London on Rapide services for Ribble. Purchased from Fosters of Hetton in 1994 and still in semi use. Named Lady Pamela. This vehicle was completely refurbished in 2006.
Nissan Cherry Maxima 1.3GL 3 door hatchback. Red.
Very rare, maybe only 5 left on UK roads
4x2 Artic Unit
Mercedes-Benz 300SL Convertible
This vehicle has been little used and well preserved. Merc Club National Concours winner in 2008, show car at NEC Classic in November. As of 2014 mileage less than 23,000.
BMW 316 (E30) Four door saloon
This extremely original example of a BMW E30 3-Series was acquired in January 2013. Only 3 previous owners and a genuine 67,000 miles from new
Daimler Double Six Auto
Ford Escort Eclipse
New in June 1990. Owned for past 2 years since bringing up to Teesside from south Yorkshire. Had been off the road for many years before restoration.
Rover Mini Cooper SE 1275
Current owner since 1999. A ground up nut and bolt restoration was completed in November 2015.
Chevrolet Grumman LLV. US Postal Services Van
US Postal Services Van. Right Hand drive as standard. Believed to be only one of 4 in the UK.
Dennis Dart 9.8SDL Alexander Dash B40F
Just The Ticket Bus Preservation (Derek Thompson)
Dennis Dart 9.8SDL Alexander Dash B40F
This vehicle was the first of a batch of six new buses 1723 - 1728 (K723 PNL - K728 PNL) delivered to Sunderland Busways in 1993.
It was named 'CITY OF SUNDERLAND' to commemorate the granting of City Status in 1992 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on the 40th anniversary of her accession to the throne.
Rover Mini Italian Job
Original unrestored mini, 7,500 miles from new
Jaguar XJS 4.0 Litre Coupe
3 owners from new
Chevrolet Astro Starcraft Conversion
Chevrolet Astro Starcraft Conversion. Left hand drive. Leather captain's chair seats. Starlights in roof of van.
Owned by present owners Terry * Gillian Brown since 2006. On the road all year round. Been shown at car shows regularly over the past 10 years,
Dennis Dart SLF Alexander ALX200
Delivered to Sunderland depot in 1997 this bus was the first low floor easy access "Loliner" in the Stagecoach Busways fleet. It was originally numbered 1101 and will revert to this number when fully restored. It operated from almost every depot in the Stagecoach North East area prior to withdrawal from active service.
New to Chester le Street in June 1998 4855 was the final member of the second batch of 8 B10BLE that were bought to run the service 21 and morning 734. After 2 years the batch was reallocated to Stanley for use on the service 775 and 778 replacing the popular DAF SB220's.
Then in 2008 48 found herself back at Chester LE Street to run the "branded" lime. From there she was withdrawn in 2015, displaced by Wrightbus Streetlite's.
The NNRG took delivery of 4855 from Saltmeadows Road bodyshop in September 2015. Restoration started straight away and she was unveiled in her original livery in 2016 as a surprise entry at the North East Bus and Coach Show.
4855 has the distinction of being the first low floor bus that was preserved from Go Northeast in 2015, and has been a popular attraction on the rally field since 2016.