An unusual open-top conversion of a Beadle bodied AEC Regal bus, new to Maidstone & District and restored in their livery, Acquired by the late Christopher Moyes from Guide Friday, now in the care of NEBPT.
Bristol L5G with Eastern Coachworks single-deck bus body.
The bus was new to United in the summer of 1947, with fleet number BLO 202. It was allocated to subsidiary company Bell's Services of Westerhope, Newcastle carrying the standard red and cream livery. Next, in 1951, it was returned to the main United fleet as BG 216. In 1959, the bus was transferred from United to subsidiary company Durham District Services, with whom it ran in green and cream livery, numbered DB 216. It was sold for preservation in 1968.
AEC Regent III 9612a NCB H30/26R
AEC Regent III with Northern Coachbuilders, was new as Newcastle Corporation 341 in 1950.
Rover 90 P4
Morris Minor Convertible
Albion Nimbus NS3N with Harrington DP30F body.
New to Western Welsh
Jaguar 3.4 Mk2 saloon
Has been restored. Owned the car for 12 years
Leyland Leopard PSU3/3RT, Alexander DP51F
New to Venture Transport as fleet no. 249, passing to Northern as 2830, later 4264. Withdrawn in 1980 and sold to APT, Lincoln. Purchased by the late Michael Reed and partly restored. Completely restored to as-new condition over a couple of years.
Ford Consul Classic 1500 cc
Becoming quite rare. Sold new in Newcastle and spent all its life in the North East. Spent several years as a showpiece at Pattersons Ford garage at Shiremoor. Appeared in Heartbeat and several episodes of Inspector George Gently series 7 on BBC
Daimler CCG6 with Roe double-deck body.
The bus appeared in the 1964 Earls Court Motor Show. It is a hybrid of Daimler chassis and Guy driveline with Gardner engine. It has appeared in a Tesco advert.
The vehicle was new to South Shields Corporation as No 140. On withdrawal, it was retained by Busways and later Stagecoach, and has been maintained by the 140 Group for 32 years. It has been in preservation longer than it was in service. The only double decker remaining in South Shields.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H06/00R
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
This Routemaster entered service as London Transport RML2530 in 1966 and was latterly a First Group bus at Centrewest. After withdrawal in 2004 it passed via Ensign to Gillingham Football Club and was converted to a promotional vehicle with a trailer, having conversion work carried out by South East Coachworks. It was acquired by McCains in 2007 and converted into 'The Potato Bus', which travelled extensively around the country promoting McCains and explaining the story of the potato to school children, most of whom did not know that chips were made from potatoes! It was acquired by Rydale Folk Museum at Hutton-le-Hole near Pickering from McCain?s in October 2010. Following an enquiry from Keith Kitching of Scarborough it was acquired by the NEBPT in April 2012
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H40/32R
Bristol RESL6L with Eastern Coachworks body
This bus was the first Leyland-engined Bristol RE to be delivered to a non-Tilling operator. It was sold by Busways in 1977 for service with a succession of further operators before reacquisition in 1988. It has been preserved since 1998.
Bristol LHS6L with Marshall single-deck bus body.
Aycliffe & District Bus Preservation Society
First registered in 1969 by Southern Vectis. It was last in service with United in 1984. The vehicle was restored to 'Newtonian' livery in 1998 as part of the 50th anniversary of the founding of the new town of Newton Aycliffe. Purchased by the society because of its association with the Newtonian service between 1981 and 1984. It was the precursor of the Roadranger services. The vehicle was returned to its original United livery by the Society when acquired in 1984.
The bus is unusual because of its body design by Marshalls of Cambridge who are a well known for specialist vehicles and aircraft conversions.
Regular drivers of LH vehicles compliment the condition of the vehicle. The type was noted for its heavy steering, manual gear change and a 'bouncy' suspension.
Ford Granada Mk1 Consul GT
Rare very early model of the Mk I Consul GT, production of this model only started in August 1972.
Leyland Atlantean PDR2/1 Alexander H48/30D
Leyland Atlantean PDR2/1 new to Tyne Wear PTE in June 1972, fleet no 680. Sold to isle of man and brought back to UK 2003
Daimler Fleetline Roe B48D
New to Darlington Corporation. Withdrawn by them in 1986 and purchased for preservation by Graham Oliver. This vehicle was donated to the NEBPT in 1998 and subsequently passed to a group based in the Darlington area in 2014.
Bristol RELH6G ECW DP49F
SHN 80L (6080) was new to United in the summer of 1973. The vehicle spent the majority of its operating career working from Bishop Auckland depot and chiefly used on the Bishop Auckland to Newcastle service. The vehicle entered preservation upon withdrawal in 1987 and has a number of owners since then. The bus was repatriated to its native North East by its current owner of this year. The plan is to eventually repaint 6080 into NBC poppy red and white, the livery the bus wore whist operating for United.
Ford Transit Mk 1 Ambulance
Only 13,000 miles from new. worked from an MOD munitions factory until 2002. Has appeared in "The Bank Job" with Jason Statham, Heartbeat, The Royal and Inspector George Gently
Bristol VR Series II with ECW (Open Top) bodywork, Gardner 6LXB engine.
New to Alder Valley in April 1975 where it remained until passing briefly to London & Country at the end of 1990. It was acquired by Shoreline Suncruisers in March 1991 where it remained until the end of 2015.
Bristol VRT Northern Counties H43/31F
New to Cleveland Transit as their H106 in 1977. A typical Transit Northern Counties body but unusually on a Bristol VRT/SL3 chassis. Worked from both Middlesbrough and Stockton Depots.
Withdrawn in 1989 and sold on to Jones of Llanfaethlu on Anglesey for further service.
Recovered by the 500 Group in 2006, apparently not needing too much work! After an eight year rebuild involving many thousands of hours of work by a dedicated volunteer team and a 5-figure spend, she debuted in preservation at the Stagecoach Stockton Depot Open Day in September 2014. Apart from the Covid interruptions, she has since been a regular presence on the rally circuit.
Leyland Atlantean AN68A/2R Alexander H49/37F
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
This Tyne and Wear standard Leyland Atlantean entered service based at South Shields, and passed to South Shields Busways after deregulation in 1986. It is preserved in the livery of South Shields Busways.
Leyland Leopard/Plaxton Supreme C53F
Plaxton Supreme IV bodywork, ex National Express (East Yorkshire). It then went to Cherry Coaches of Hull, before returning to East Yorkshire Motor Services, it spent some it's later years with Lee's of Durham, Classic of Annfield Plain, and Scarlet Band Coaches all in the Durham area, before being preserved by the present owner Mr Tony Hull.
Bristol LH6L ECW B43F
New To Bristol Omnibus. Worked at Solent Blue Line, Hampshire Bus, TMS, EYMS. Became static living accommodation.
Leyland National MK2 B49F
FTN708W was new to Northern General in 1981.
The bus remained within the old Sunderland and District area until withdrawal in 2003. The bus was acquired for preservation in 2007, and since that time has undergone an extensive rebuild due to serious corrosion that was present to the body.
Initially presented last season in Tyne and Wear PTE livery, the bus has been professionally repainted into Go Wear Buses livery, over the winter season.
Leyland National 2 B49F. Repowered with Volvo THD100E engine and Voith 851.2 3 speed gearbox
Northern National Restoration Group (Craig Smith)
New to Philadelphia Depot of NBC Northern in June 1981.
FTN 710W is one of only 5 National 2/2's to stay in the Wear District all her PSV life and spent most of her life there running the 194/294. After her withdrawal from Deptford in 2002 she was used as a driver trainer at Gateshead Depot until 2006.
In 2006 4710 was donated to the NEBPT by Go Ahead CEO Christopher Moyes. After restoration 4710 was rolled out at the MetroCentre event in 2008.
After that years season 4710 was mothballed until her sale in 2013 to the Northern National Restoration Group.
She made her first NNRG outing at the 2013 Metrocenter event and has been on the road ever since apart from during the COVID pandemic.
This year 4710 took part in the National 50 event at Whitehaven by the kind invitation from our Friends, The Workington Transport Hertitage Trust.
MCW Metrobus Mark 2, ex Northern 3501 with MCW bodywork H46/31F
New on the 12th June 1983, as the first Mark 2 Metrobus to be delivered to Northern and also the National Bus Company. Delivered in NBC poppy red, this vehicle was one of only 12 Metrobuses painted in this livery from new. 3501's first depot allocation was Chester le Street, and moved to Murton Depot after a year at it's previous depot, remained here until Murton closed. 3501 was withdrawn in 2000, and after restored won the best 1980's double decker award at Showbus Rally in Duxford in 2009.
The bus is powered by Gardner engine linked to a 4 speed Voith gearbox.
The vehicle is fully restored in "as new" condition.
The bus was withdrawn fifteen years ago and has been in preservation with its current owner ever since.
Leyland Royal Tiger Doyen
Dewsbury Bus Museum
New to West Riding Automobile Company of Wakefield
DAF SB220 Optare Delta.
Optare Delta 251 was the first of a batch of four vehicles (251 to 254) ordered by Northumbria Motor Services Ltd of Newcastle upon Tyne on the 4th of July 1989
251 was delivered to Northumbria in October 1989 after it appeared in the Bus & Coach Show at the N.E.C. It then travelled to France & Holland with the Directors & Senior Managers at the end of November 1989.
Originally based at Gallowgate depot, 251 worked out of most of the Northumbria depots at some time in her life before the sale of the Company to British Bus then ultimately Cowies (Arriva) Ironically on the 15th of January 1998 251 became the first bus to be painted in Arriva livery!
Between the 11th of January 2006 and the 21st of September 2008 251 was expertly restored by Gardiners of Spennymoor before making her debut at Showbus 2008.
Dennis Dart 9.8SDL Alexander Dash B40F
Just The Ticket Bus Preservation (Derek Thompson)
Dennis Dart 9.8SDL Alexander Dash B40F
This vehicle was the first of a batch of six new buses 1723 - 1728 (K723 PNL - K728 PNL) delivered to Sunderland Busways in 1993.
It was named 'CITY OF SUNDERLAND' to commemorate the granting of City Status in 1992 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on the 40th anniversary of her accession to the throne.
Volvo Olympian Alexander
Volvo Olympian Cummins L10 with Alexander bodywork originally Stagecoach Busways 703
Dennis Dart SLF Alexander ALX200
Delivered to Sunderland depot in 1997 this bus was the first low floor easy access "Loliner" in the Stagecoach Busways fleet. It was originally numbered 1101 and will revert to this number when fully restored. It operated from almost every depot in the Stagecoach North East area prior to withdrawal from active service.
New to Chester le Street in June 1998 4855 was the final member of the second batch of 8 B10BLE that were bought to run the service 21 and morning 734. After 2 years the batch was reallocated to Stanley for use on the service 775 and 778 replacing the popular DAF SB220's.
Then in 2008 48 found herself back at Chester LE Street to run the "branded" lime. From there she was withdrawn in 2015, displaced by Wrightbus Streetlite's.
The NNRG took delivery of 4855 from Saltmeadows Road bodyshop in September 2015. Restoration started straight away and she was unveiled in her original livery in 2016 as a surprise entry at the North East Bus and Coach Show.
4855 has the distinction of being the first low floor bus that was preserved from Go Northeast in 2015, and has been a popular attraction on the rally field since 2016.
Dennis Dart SPD/Plaxton Pointer
New to Go Gateshead in January 1999 and latterly with Denwell Mini Coaches of Birdlip, Gloucestershire.