An unusual open-top conversion of a Beadle bodied AEC Regal bus, new to Maidstone & District and restored in their livery, Acquired by the late Christopher Moyes from Guide Friday, now in the care of NEBPT.
Bristol L5G with Eastern Coachworks single-deck bus body.
The bus was new to United in the summer of 1947, with fleet number BLO 202. It was allocated to subsidiary company Bell's Services of Westerhope, Newcastle carrying the standard red and cream livery. Next, in 1951, it was returned to the main United fleet as BG 216. In 1959, the bus was transferred from United to subsidiary company Durham District Services, with whom it ran in green and cream livery, numbered DB 216. It was sold for preservation in 1968.
Albion Nimbus NS3N with Harrington DP30F body.
New to Western Welsh
Leyland Atlantean PDR1/1 with Alexander double-deck body.
The bus was new to Newcastle Corporation and was operated until 1977. It was bought for preservation by the Four to One Group, who carried out much work on it. It later passed to Jimmy Storey who completed the restoration work.
Leyland Leopard PSU3/3RT, Alexander DP51F
New to Venture Transport as fleet no. 249, passing to Northern as 2830, later 4264. Withdrawn in 1980 and sold to APT, Lincoln. Purchased by the late Michael Reed and partly restored. Completely restored to as-new condition over a couple of years.
Daimler CCG6 with Roe double-deck body.
The bus appeared in the 1964 Earls Court Motor Show. It is a hybrid of Daimler chassis and Guy driveline with Gardner engine. It has appeared in a Tesco advert.
The vehicle was new to South Shields Corporation as No 140. On withdrawal, it was retained by Busways and later Stagecoach, and has been maintained by the 140 Group for 32 years. It has been in preservation longer than it was in service. The only double decker remaining in South Shields.
Atkinson Alpha with Gardner 6HLW engine and Marshall 48-seat single-deck body.
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
No. 48 in the Sunderland Corporation fleet was one of a batch of three Atkinson chassis, which were to be the last Atkinson passenger chassis to enter service in this country in 1964. Atkinson was better known for its lorry chassis and the company were approached by Sunderland to build these vehicles after unsatisfactory performance from the Corporation's AEC Reliances.
The vehicles had Gardner 6HLW engines mounted horizontally underfloor. The bodies were by Marshall to the contemporary B.E.T. specification, similar to other local vehicles at the time. The twin-door bodies were specified to operate on the Pay-As-You-Enter system.
The steps into the saloon were very high, compared to the low-floor buses of today. Seating capacity was only 45 due to the dual door layout.
Leyland Panther PSUR1/1R Strachan B47D
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
New to Sunderland Corporation as No. 53. Sold to Tyne and Wear Museums on withdrawal from service passing the present owner in 1992 and rallied extensively since then.
Acquired by the NEBPT in 2018
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H06/00R
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
This Routemaster entered service as London Transport RML2530 in 1966 and was latterly a First Group bus at Centrewest. After withdrawal in 2004 it passed via Ensign to Gillingham Football Club and was converted to a promotional vehicle with a trailer, having conversion work carried out by South East Coachworks. It was acquired by McCains in 2007 and converted into 'The Potato Bus', which travelled extensively around the country promoting McCains and explaining the story of the potato to school children, most of whom did not know that chips were made from potatoes! It was acquired by Rydale Folk Museum at Hutton-le-Hole near Pickering from McCain?s in October 2010. Following an enquiry from Keith Kitching of Scarborough it was acquired by the NEBPT in April 2012
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H40/32R
This Routemaster entered service as London Transport RML2551 in 1966, initially on route 6, and after refurbishment on route 12. Refurbishment was of both interior and of the driveline, when a Cummins engine replaced the AEC original. The current owner intends to preserve it with its route 12 branding.
Alexander Y type bodied Leyland Leopard C49F
New to RTITB (Wembley) - Restored in Venture Transport Colours
Bristol RELH6G ECW DP49F
SHN 80L (6080) was new to United in the summer of 1973. The vehicle spent the majority of its operating career working from Bishop Auckland depot and chiefly used on the Bishop Auckland to Newcastle service. The vehicle entered preservation upon withdrawal in 1987 and has a number of owners since then. The bus was repatriated to its native North East by its current owner of this year. The plan is to eventually repaint 6080 into NBC poppy red and white, the livery the bus wore whist operating for United.
Lelyand Leopard Plaxton Derwent MkI
Lelyand Leopard Plaxton Derwent MkI. New to Summerson Bros with fleet name "The Eden", passing Bygone Buses in Kent. PPT 446P was brought for preservation by Steve Foster passing to Graeme Scarlett at Eden Bus Services.
Displayed today in memory of Ken Nesbitt
Bristol LH6L ECW B43F
New To Bristol Omnibus. Worked at Solent Blue Line, Hampshire Bus, TMS, EYMS. Became static living accommodation.
Leyland National MK2 B49F
FTN708W was new to Northern General in 1981.
The bus remained within the old Sunderland and District area until withdrawal in 2003. The bus was acquired for preservation in 2007, and since that time has undergone an extensive rebuild due to serious corrosion that was present to the body.
Initially presented last season in Tyne and Wear PTE livery, the bus has been professionally repainted into Go Wear Buses livery, over the winter season.
Leyland National 2 B49F. Repowered with Volvo THD100E engine and Voith 851.2 3 speed gearbox
Northern National Restoration Group (Craig Smith)
New to Philadelphia Depot of NBC Northern in June 1981.
FTN 710W is one of only 5 National 2/2's to stay in the Wear District all her PSV life and spent most of her life there running the 194/294. After her withdrawal from Deptford in 2002 she was used as a driver trainer at Gateshead Depot until 2006.
In 2006 4710 was donated to the NEBPT by Go Ahead CEO Christopher Moyes. After restoration 4710 was rolled out at the MetroCentre event in 2008.
After that years season 4710 was mothballed until her sale in 2013 to the Northern National Restoration Group.
She made her first NNRG outing at the 2013 Metrocenter event and has been on the road ever since apart from during the COVID pandemic.
This year 4710 took part in the National 50 event at Whitehaven by the kind invitation from our Friends, The Workington Transport Hertitage Trust.
This vehicle was one of a batch of eight delivered to Sunderland Busways. It became Stagecoach 14669 after the take-over of Busways. Stagecoach converted it to part open-top in 2007 for use by City Sight-Seeing. It has subsequently been converted to full open-top by Gardiners of Spennymoor in March 2008
Dennis Dart 9.8SDL Alexander Dash B40F
This vehicle was the first of a batch of six new buses 1723 - 1728 (K723 PNL - K728 PNL) delivered to Sunderland Busways in 1993.
It was named 'CITY OF SUNDERLAND' to commemorate the granting of City Status in 1992 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on the 40th anniversary of her accession to the throne.
New to Chester le Street in June 1998 4855 was the final member of the second batch of 8 B10BLE that were bought to run the service 21 and morning 734. After 2 years the batch was reallocated to Stanley for use on the service 775 and 778 replacing the popular DAF SB220's.
Then in 2008 48 found herself back at Chester LE Street to run the "branded" lime. From there she was withdrawn in 2015, displaced by Wrightbus Streetlite's.
The NNRG took delivery of 4855 from Saltmeadows Road bodyshop in September 2015. Restoration started straight away and she was unveiled in her original livery in 2016 as a surprise entry at the North East Bus and Coach Show.
4855 has the distinction of being the first low floor bus that was preserved from Go Northeast in 2015, and has been a popular attraction on the rally field since 2016.
Volvo B10BLE Renown Wright bodied
Chris & Gemma Purdy
New to Go North East's Stanley depot for services 765/766 in 2000. She was purchased by ourselves for preservation in October 2017