This event will feature a selection of classic buses on display, trade stands and two free bus services will operate from the rally site.
The first service will use a selection of vehicles attending the event and will head north to the Delaval Arms roundabout, and return south along the seafront as far as the Blue Reef Aquarium in Tynemouth, where passengers can alight for the Childhood Memories Toy Museum http://www.tynemouthtoymuseum.co.uk/ to continue the nostalgic theme. The return route to the rally site is through Whitley Bay Town Centre and passengers are free to alight and board at any stop along the route.
The second service will operate to the Stephenson Railway Museum http://www.ntsra.org.uk/ for the opportunity to enjoy a FREE train ride, the only occasion during the year when this is possible. The buses for this service (modern this time thanks to partners Go North East http://www.simplygo.com/) will run to and from the rally site to coincide with the train times at the museum.
To travel to the event by public transport catch Go North East services 1, 2 & 309 which stop next to the site, or services 85 & 86 which stop close to the site. Alternatively catch any bus service to Whitley Bay Town Centre and catch the free bus service to the site.
For additional information on the location of Bournemouth Gardens Car Park, click here
Sunday 18th July 2010
Time 10:00 AM
Bedford WLB Duple C20F
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
Originally a demonstrator for the coachbuilder, Duple, this vehicle passed to Howard of West Byfleet, and later to Teesdale of Lincoln for preservation. Purchased by Gerald Cox of Durham and eventually to the late Chris Moyes of Durham. Now in the care of NEBPT.
Bristol K5G ECW L27/26R
Aycliffe & District Bus Preservation Society
1942 Bristol K5G with 1949 Eastern Coachworks lowbridge 53-seat open rear platform double-decker.
Jun 42 - In service with United Automobile Services Limited, Darlington (BDO29)
May 51 - Fleet number changed to BGL29
1954 - Rebodied with 1949 ECW L27/26R (3162) (ex Leyland PD2 - LLL21 - HN 9019)
Jan 59 - Out of service with United Automobile Services Limited, Darlington (BGL29)
Mar 59 - In service with Silcox Motor Coach Company Limited, Pembroke Dock (32)
Nov 69 - Out of service with Silcox Motor Coach Company Limited, Pembroke Dock (32)
Jan 70 - M Banks, P Battersby & G Holt, Hull
<1977 - P Battersby, Teeside
Jul 81 - Aycliffe & District Bus Preservation Group, Newton Aycliffe
AEC Regent III based Merryweather pump escape appliance
New to South Shields Fire Brigade.
Bedford SBG Plaxton Consort C41F
Just The Ticket Bus Preservation (Derek Thompson)
This vehicle was new to Swan of Berwick upon Tweed. Withdrawn by them in the 1980s and sold for preservation, passing to the present owner in 2002. A major restoration was carried out and a brand new engine, obtained from the MOD, was fitted. The vehicle has attended events all over the north in the past few years and completes an overseas trip to Holland each year.
AEC Reliance Duple Britannia C41F
This vehicle, new in 1957, was exhibited at the 1957 Scottish Motor Show, in Glasgow. SHO 800 also took part in the 1958 British Coach Rally at Brighton, gaining a trophy at this popular event.
Guy Arab IV Massey H30/26R
New to Exeter Corporation as No. 52, later operated for Shaw Brothers in Bishop Auckland area in 1971, and later passed onto United Atomobile Services in 1975, and with the current owner since September 1992. preserved in memory of John Shaw
Karrier BFD3023 Plaxton C14F
New to Brocksbank of Leeds, Original reg 6666 U, later BVH 157A, formerly owned by John Hogarth and Ray Thornton. Some restoration work recently carried out at Gardiners of Spennymoor.
Dennis Loline (Gardner 6LW engine) with Northern Counties double-deck H36/31RD body
The first of nine Dennis Lolines purchased by Middlesbrough Corporation to allow a normal seating layout in a double-decker low enough to pass under the Middlesbrough Station (Albert) bridge. It was the only one of the nine to have an open rear platform and was exhibited at the 1958 Earlâ€™s Court Commercial Motor Show.
Withdrawn from service in 1970, she was acquired by a Scottish independent operator, initially running on hire to, and later sold to the Bellshill Bingorama Ltd. operation.
Saved from a scrapyard at the last minute by Ron Maybray in 1977, she was moved to Derby and stored in his garden pending restoration!
In 1991 she was purchased by the 500 Group for a nominal fee on condition that she was restored to as new condition. She was restored in time for her fortieth birthday in 1998. The bus has now spent far longer with the 500 Group than it did in commercial use! She has attended many rallies and other events over the years but is mainly used for ceremonial duties these days.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal 64-seat double-deck bodywork.
The bus was put into service by London Transport as RM1058, an example of the original production short-length vehicles. After privatisation it was inherited by Go Ahead's London Central and worked from New Cross garage. It was retired into preservation in 2005 after service 36 was converted to driver-only operation. Restoration continues on the vehicle, including seats re-trimmed in original Scott tartan. Original registration 58 CLT.
Bristol MW6G with ECW C39F bodywork.
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
This vehicle was new to West Yorks RCC as fleet no. CUG 27. It was withdrawn from service in September 1973, and passed through a number of private owners until acquired by the late Chris Moyes in 1996. Thoroughly overhauled by Go-Ahead and extensively rallied, this vehicle later passed to NEBPT ownership.
AEC Routemaster 3R2RH, Park Royal H41/31F
New to Northern General as fleet no. 2105; one of only 50 built for use outside London; used for medium-distance services until preserved in 1980. Restored in the original livery in which it entered service.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H41/31F
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
This bus was one of 50 AEC-Park Royal front entrance Routemasters that were new to NGT, fitted with Leyland 0.600 engines. Originally registered RCN 699.It passed to Stevenson's of Uttoxeter, then to Stagecoach for use on Magicbus routes in Glasgow, reregistered as EDS 508B, and by then powered by an AEC engine. Re-purchased by Northern, passing to the late Chris Moyes OBE and given registration mark PCN 762. Now in the care of NEBPT.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H40/32R
This Routemaster entered service as London Transport RML2551 in 1966, initially on route 6, and after refurbishment on route 12. Refurbishment was of both interior and of the driveline, when a Cummins engine replaced the AEC original. The current owner intends to preserve it with its route 12 branding.
Bristol RESL6L with Eastern Coachworks body
This bus was the first Leyland-engined Bristol RE to be delivered to a non-Tilling operator. It was sold by Busways in 1977 for service with a succession of further operators before reacquisition in 1988. It has been preserved since 1998.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H40/32R
New to London Transport as RML 2686, one of the last batch of RML's in service and latterly run by Arriva until the demise of RM operation in London. The bus was refurbished some years ago and was fitted with a Cummins engine, bought by Cooper of Annitsford, Northumberland, and acquired from them by present owner in 2005 after driving it up from London. On going restoration to its 1968 looks.
Daimler Fleetline CRL6 with Northern Counties H43/27D body
This last-surviving Teesside 'standard' only 13'5" high, was acquired for preservation in 1989. It has covered over 1,200,000 miles!
Bedford YRQ with Plaxton Panorama coach body.
The coach was new to National Travel South East as VYH 500M. Then it worked for James Meffan of Kirriemuir from 1985, before becoming a motor home in 1997. Bought from a scrapyard in 1999, it has been totally refurbished by the current owner. Restored in United Tyne-Tees livery.
Bedford YRT Plaxton Panorama Elite 3
The vehicle was new to Robinsons' of Kimbolton in 1975. It worked for them until 2000 when it was purchased for preservation. Now in the livery of the original owner, this has returned to the scene after 2 years while some work was carried out on her.
Bristol LHS6L with Plaxton C33F bodywork
The vehicle was new to Epsom Coaches in 1976 then to G E Sykes of Appleton Roebuck near York. It was acquired by the current owner in 2003.
Seddon Pennine VII with Alexander Y-type body.
Ex Eastern and Lowland Scottish. Allocated to Edinburgh in June 1978, then to Dunbar, transferred to Lowland 1986. Sold in 1988 to Red Bus service . Bought for preservation 2006.
Leyland Leopard/Plaxton Supreme C53F
Plaxton Supreme IV bodywork, ex National Express (East Yorkshire). It then went to Cherry Coaches of Hull, before returning to East Yorkshire Motor Services, it spent some it's later years with Lee's of Durham, Classic of Annfield Plain, and Scarlet Band Coaches all in the Durham area, before being preserved by the present owner Mr Tony Hull.
Leyland Atlantean AN68C/2R with Alexander double-deck body.
Treble One Group (M Mackenzie)
New to Tyne and Wear PTE in 1981; it passed to Busways in 1986. It worked first at City Busways from Byker then most of its time at Slatyford on Fastline services. It had brief spells on Magicbus and at Sunderland and ended up at Stagecoach Transit from where it was bought by the Treble-one Group in 2004.
It is restored in Newcastle Busways livery.
MCW Metrobus Mark 2, ex Northern 3501 with MCW bodywork H46/31F
New on the 12th June 1983, as the first Mark 2 Metrobus to be delivered to Northern and also the National Bus Company. Delivered in NBC poppy red, this vehicle was one of only 12 Metrobuses painted in this livery from new. 3501's first depot allocation was Chester le Street, and moved to Murton Depot after a year at it's previous depot, remained here until Murton closed. 3501 was withdrawn in 2000, and after restored won the best 1980's double decker award at Showbus Rally in Duxford in 2009.
The bus is powered by Gardner engine linked to a 4 speed Voith gearbox.
The vehicle is fully restored in "as new" condition.
The bus was withdrawn fifteen years ago and has been in preservation with its current owner ever since.
DAF SB220 Optare Delta.
Optare Delta 251 was the first of a batch of four vehicles (251 to 254) ordered by Northumbria Motor Services Ltd of Newcastle upon Tyne on the 4th of July 1989
251 was delivered to Northumbria in October 1989 after it appeared in the Bus & Coach Show at the N.E.C. It then travelled to France & Holland with the Directors & Senior Managers at the end of November 1989.
Originally based at Gallowgate depot, 251 worked out of most of the Northumbria depots at some time in her life before the sale of the Company to British Bus then ultimately Cowies (Arriva) Ironically on the 15th of January 1998 251 became the first bus to be painted in Arriva livery!
Between the 11th of January 2006 and the 21st of September 2008 251 was expertly restored by Gardiners of Spennymoor before making her debut at Showbus 2008.