Why not bring your vintage vehicle to the Recreation Ground, Seaburn on August Bank Holiday Monday?
This event will feature a selection of historic vehicles on display, trade stands, amusements for all and a free bus service around the local area.
The first bus will depart at 11:00 and departures will be every 30 minutes thereafter, until the last bus at 16:30.
To travel to the event by public transport catch Stagecoach North East services E1 or E2 or Veolia service 558 which stop next to the site, or Stagecoach North East service E6 which stops close to the site.
For additional information on the location of Seaburn Recreation Ground, click here
New to Sunderland District Omnibus Co no.159 in 1939. Worked services to major towns - Sunderland, Consett, Durham, Bishop Auckland, Newcastle, South Shields, West Hartlepool.
Withdrawn 1954 and sold to J Watson, East Boldon for conversion to caravan in connection with his business (he had bus chassis as drilling rigs on farms).
Purchased by Bob Kell in 1969 and converted back to bus by the late 1980s. It was one of the earliest preserved buses, attending the second ever HCVC Event at the AEC Works in 1958. Mr Watson is still alive age 101!
Albion Valkyrie CX13 chassis with Burlingham 33-seat half-cab coach body.
H S Transport Collection
This vehicle began life with a Duple coach body; the current one is more recent and was transferred from a 1950 coach in 1957. It originally worked for South Yorkshire Motors in Pontefract. It entered preservation in 1969; it has been rallied since then but for a period during which the body framework was renovated. It performs reliably on long-distance runs and achieves 40 mph and 12 to 14 mpg.
Bristol L5G ECW B35F
Aycliffe & District Bus Preservation Society (Peter Mitchell)
Bristol L5G with Eastern Coachworks 35-seat single-deck saloon body.
This vehicle entered service with a rear entrance, but was converted mid-life (1960) to front entrance for one-person operation. It was withdrawn from service in 1966. It has a five-speed gearbox and will cruise at about 45 mph.
It has appeared in the TV series "Heartbeat"".
Austin K8 Plaxton Venturer coach body.
This small 14 seater coach was a Plaxton exhibit at the 1952 Commercial Motor Show, before being delivered to Scott's Greys of Darlington. The company was formed in 1919 by Fred Scott who died in 1952. The business was taken over by Reg and Marion Hunter and RHN 548 was their first new coach. It was sold to Grierson's Coaches of Fishburn in 1956 and in the late 1970's ended up in a scrapyard in Ossett. Rescued by enthusiasts in 1984 it was restored and is in preserved in its original livery. "Maid Marion" has been owned by Keith and Chris Kitching of Scarborough since 2005.
Leyland Titan PD2/11, Roe H33/25R
New to Leeds City Transport as No. 212. Was in use as a driver trainer and had some modifications for this use. Has now been returned to original condition.
Guy Arab IV Massey H30/26R
New to Exeter Corporation as No. 52, later operated for Shaw Brothers in Bishop Auckland area in 1971, and later passed onto United Atomobile Services in 1975, and with the current owner since September 1992. preserved in memory of John Shaw
Karrier BFD3023 Plaxton C14F
New to Brocksbank of Leeds, Original reg 6666 U, later BVH 157A, formerly owned by John Hogarth and Ray Thornton. Some restoration work recently carried out at Gardiners of Spennymoor.
Dennis Loline (Gardner 6LW engine) with Northern Counties double-deck H36/31RD body
This bus was an exhibit at the Earls Court Motor Show when new. and entered service as Middlesbrough 99. It was taken out of service in 1972 and sold to a Scottish operator. It was rescued from scrap and rebuilt to emerge on the rally scene in 1998.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal 64-seat double-deck bodywork.
The bus was put into service by London Transport as RM1058, an example of the original production short-length vehicles. After privatisation it was inherited by Go Ahead's London Central and worked from New Cross garage. It was retired into preservation in 2005 after service 36 was converted to driver-only operation. Restoration continues on the vehicle, including seats re-trimmed in original Scott tartan. Original registration 58 CLT.
Bristol SUL4A, ECW B36F
New to the West Yorkshire Road Car Company and ran from Malton and York depots. Withdrawn in 1972 and sold via a dealer to Wolfreton School, Hull. Later sold to BP Chemicals at Saltend Refinery and used on internal works transport within the plant. Presented by BP for preservation in 1983 and kept at Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum, where some restoration work was carried out, but this was not completed and it passed to the present owner in 1993 in a generally poor condition. Since acquisition much restoration work has been carried out and the vehicle is now tested to full PSV standard once again, although only used to attend rallies and running days
Bedford CA 11-seat minibus
Kenebrake bodywork, one of very few remaining. Purchased in Wales by the current owner in August 2008.
Daimler CCG6 with Roe double-deck body.
The bus appeared in the 1964 Earls Court Motor Show. It is a hybrid of Daimler chassis and Guy driveline with Gardner engine. It has appeared in a Tesco advert.
The vehicle was new to South Shields Corporation as No 140. On withdrawal, it was retained by Busways and later Stagecoach, and has been maintained by the 140 Group for 32 years. It has been in preservation longer than it was in service. The only double decker remaining in South Shields.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H40/32R
This Routemaster entered service as London Transport RML2551 in 1966, initially on route 6, and after refurbishment on route 12. Refurbishment was of both interior and of the driveline, when a Cummins engine replaced the AEC original. The current owner intends to preserve it with its route 12 branding.
Bristol RESL6L with Eastern Coachworks body
This bus was the first Leyland-engined Bristol RE to be delivered to a non-Tilling operator. It was sold by Busways in 1977 for service with a succession of further operators before reacquisition in 1988. It has been preserved since 1998.
Leyland Atlantean PDR2/1 Alexander H48/30D
Leyland Atlantean PDR2/1 new to Tyne Wear PTE in June 1972, fleet no 680. Sold to isle of man and brought back to UK 2003
Daimler Fleetline CRL6 with Northern Counties H43/27D body
This last-surviving Teesside 'standard' only 13'5" high, was acquired for preservation in 1989. It has covered over 1,200,000 miles!
Bedford YRQ with Plaxton Panorama coach body.
The coach was new to National Travel South East as VYH 500M. Then it worked for James Meffan of Kirriemuir from 1985, before becoming a motor home in 1997. Bought from a scrapyard in 1999, it has been totally refurbished by the current owner. Restored in United Tyne-Tees livery.
Bristol RELL6L ECW B46D
Single Deck Dual Door Bristol RE, ex Hartlepool Borough Transport. Operated in Service from May 1975 to November 1997, when it was withdrawn by Stagecoach. Last RE to operate in the town and the last bus in Hartlepool Maroon & Cream Livery
Leyland National Greenway
A Leyland National MkI converted by East Lancashire Coach Builders to National Greenway specification in December 1992.
Bristol LHS6L with Plaxton C33F bodywork
The vehicle was new to Epsom Coaches in 1976 then to G E Sykes of Appleton Roebuck near York. It was acquired by the current owner in 2003.
Leyland Leopard/Plaxton Supreme C53F
Plaxton Supreme IV bodywork, ex National Express (East Yorkshire). It then went to Cherry Coaches of Hull, before returning to East Yorkshire Motor Services, it spent some it's later years with Lee's of Durham, Classic of Annfield Plain, and Scarlet Band Coaches all in the Durham area, before being preserved by the present owner Mr Tony Hull.
Bristol VRT SL3 501 Eastern Coach Works
Northern General 3406 was new on 02/01/1979, and entered service at Murton Depot. In 1982 the vehicle was one of three (3404-3406) to be upgraded to dual purpose status and fitted with coach seats, which were purchased from United Auto Services. The bus later moved to Chester le Street, for use on local express services and painted into 'TYNELINK' livery. Withdrawn in 1993, the bus passed to Blue Triangle of Bootle. Having served with a number of other operators, 3406 passed into preservation with the County Durham Bus Preservation Group in 2002. By this time having been re-registered LDS190A. The original number plate was re-issued by the DVLA. The vehicle has undergone a number of repairs, including replacement of the gearbox. The bus has recently been by purchased by Jonothan Ruddick, and remains part of the CDBPG collection. Having gained an MOT, the bus has returned to the road for the first time in several years. Restoration work is currently ongoing with the vehicle.
Leyland Atlantean AN68C/2R with Alexander double-deck body.
Treble One Group (Dave Hemsley)
New to Tyne and Wear PTE in 1981; it passed to Busways in 1986. It worked first at City Busways from Byker then most of its time at Slatyford on Fastline services. It had brief spells on Magicbus and at Sunderland and ended up at Stagecoach Transit from where it was bought by the Treble-one Group in 2004.
It is restored in Newcastle Busways livery.
Leyland National Mark 2
New to Merseyside Passenger Transport Executive in 1982 and its metamorphosis into MTL and Arriva. It was sold and stored from about 2000, thence worked with Gilmoss Training. Yesterbus acquired this vehicle in to the fleet in 2006 and she retains her original 680 engine.
MCW Metrobus Mark 2, ex Northern 3501 with MCW bodywork H46/31F
New on the 12th June 1983, as the first Mark 2 Metrobus to be delivered to Northern and also the National Bus Company. Delivered in NBC poppy red, this vehicle was one of only 12 Metrobuses painted in this livery from new. 3501's first depot allocation was Chester le Street, and moved to Murton Depot after a year at it's previous depot, remained here until Murton closed. 3501 was withdrawn in 2000, and after restored won the best 1980's double decker award at Showbus Rally in Duxford in 2009.
The bus is powered by Gardner engine linked to a 4 speed Voith gearbox.
The vehicle is fully restored in "as new" condition.
The bus was withdrawn fifteen years ago and has been in preservation with its current owner ever since.
New in 1984, ran between North West and London on Rapide services for Ribble. Purchased from Fosters of Hetton in 1994 and still in semi use. Named Lady Pamela. This vehicle was completely refurbished in 2006.
Leyland Olympian ECW H45/31F
Northern 3656, was delivered in Tyne and Wear PTE livery in 1985, 3656 was new to Gateshead Depot, one of a batch of vehicles popular with drivers as the vehicle is powered by a Cummins L10 engine linked to a 4 speed Voith gearbox, giving great performance on the steep hills around Gateshead.
The bus was purchased for preservation in August 2010 from Redfern Travel and has been restored in full Tyne & Wear PTE livery, as delivered.
Volvo D10M Eat Lancashire
Chesterfield Falcon 40 Preservation Group
Nottingham City Transport 321, now preserved by the current owner
DAF SB220 Optare Delta.
Optare Delta 251 was the first of a batch of four vehicles (251 to 254) ordered by Northumbria Motor Services Ltd of Newcastle upon Tyne on the 4th of July 1989
251 was delivered to Northumbria in October 1989 after it appeared in the Bus & Coach Show at the N.E.C. It then travelled to France & Holland with the Directors & Senior Managers at the end of November 1989.
Originally based at Gallowgate depot, 251 worked out of most of the Northumbria depots at some time in her life before the sale of the Company to British Bus then ultimately Cowies (Arriva) Ironically on the 15th of January 1998 251 became the first bus to be painted in Arriva livery!
Between the 11th of January 2006 and the 21st of September 2008 251 was expertly restored by Gardiners of Spennymoor before making her debut at Showbus 2008.
Random Vehicle from the Operational Fleet
Kingsley's Coaches Ltd (Dave Kingsley)
Kingsleys Coaches will represent this rally with a random choice of vehicle from their Operating Fleet, this could be a service bus to a coach
Morris Oxford 3/4 coup
Austin 7 Ruby
First registered in Mombasa, travelled extensively in south africa, moved to India in 1968 and then finally to the UK in 1971. One previous owner vehicle. Restored by its current owner
Rover P3 75
A Rover P3 75 light six, saloon car. Black over ivory. Original colour was green. Once used as a wedding car prior to my ownership. In very good condition and has been well maintained
This car has been owned since 1966 and preserved since 1984. It has won many awards since then.
Wolsley Four Fifty
Preserved by the current owner.
Ford Pickup truck
Scammel Showman's Tractor
New in 1952 to Guinness of London, sold to Ken Furborough of Leicester (Showman) and was used to travel the Big Wheel between fairgrounds
Ford Zodac MKI
Preserved by the current owner
A L Colquhoun
The vehicle was purchased in 1973 for the current owner's son. Column gear change converted to floor change. Semaphore signal changed to flashers. Further work is required.
Austin Cambridge MKI
Never been in the North East until this year (2011).
I bought my Oxford in Newtonmore Scotland whilst working there in 1979. The car had been owned by the local Laird and had only covered 14,000 miles. Originally one colour Birch Grey, Triumph Slate Grey was added later.
Ford Zephyr MKII Hi-line in Richmond Blue
Three owners from new. Spent most of its life in the Channel Islands. Converted to LPG gas. Restored over last winter
Ford Zodiac Mk2
Ford Consul Mk2
Jaguar 3.4 Mk2 saloon
Preserved by the current owner
Ford Anglia 105E saloon
Ford Consul 375 convertable
Ford Consul mark 2 convertable. Fully restored 10 years ago. Average is 150 miles a year only comes out in good weather
Triumph Herald 1200 saloon car.
Scammell Scarab 6 ton tractor unit and trailer
Originally owned by the Leyland Motors Plant, Lancashire, first as an articulated vehicle for parts deliveries then converted to a flat bed / shunting tractor for use around the plant. Leyland removed all coupling gear and associated equipment.
Restoration first took place in the late 80s and early 90s where the vehicle remained as a shunting tractor and attended many rallies in this form.
The vehicle was never registered by Leyland Motors and was registered for the first time in 1994 with the DVLA.
Work commenced in late 2010 to start converting the vehicle back to a tractor unit with the Scammell coupling and associated equipment refitted. Donor spares were luckily found to achieve the conversion back to a tractor unit. A suitable Scammell trailer was acquired in 2013 and was also restored. This vehicle has been attending rallies in the area for over twenty years now, the first one being the 1995 Seaburn bus rally.
Morris Oxford four-door saloon
All original. Finished in BMC Black with red leather interior. Only 2 previous owners and covered just 45000 miles.
Ford Zodiac MK III
Preserved by the present owner
"Ruby", recently purchased for future restoration, but for the time being she is being used and enjoyed.
Jaguar 4.2 Roadster
This is a six year restoration project, undertaken since 2000 from a poor state. The latest is this has just been completed a 10 year home restoration by the current owner. Rebuilt around originalcar, this has been off the road sonce 1982.
Peserved by the present owner.
Alan & Elsie Ellis
1966 Humber Sceptre 1725cc automatic. Acquired from the original owners family with history and MOT documents showing the genuine 60,000 miles from new.
Ford Anglia Super
Bought in 2000, several previous owners, recent restoration.
Ford Cortina GT
Rover 2000 Series
One owner, this Rover 2000 Series was used in the television series George Gently
Morris Minor 1000
Two door Black saloon. We are the third owners from new and have owned "Myna" for 27 years, over half "her" lifetime.
Tommy & Christine Cook
One previous owner, genuine 30,000 miles, car is in mainly original condition.
Morris Minor Convertable
Chris and Anne Jarvis
Original convertible in Old English White
Rover 2000 auto
The vehicle has covered 119 000 miles and gone through six owners since new.
FD Victor 2000
This is a 1968 built FD Victor 2000. Registered 1st Jan ?69 in Peacock Blue. The car had two owners in its 3 years of use and was eventually parked up in garage by its Vauxhall enthusiast owner. He bought an UNREGISTERED Bedford CF camper in 1972 to go on holiday. Whilst using another Bedford van as every day transport, the CF camper sat in front of the garage blocking the doorway. The camper was never registered and the Victor, which only ever had ONE M.O.T, had never seen the light of day until 2005. The car returned to the road in 2006 with just 20k on the clock. Currently has 34,000 miles and is unrestored except a repaint.
Austin 6CWT Van
Fully rebuilt in 2009, exterior, interior and engine. Now 42 years old she is still working daily for my small buisness.
Morris Minor 1000
Morris Minor 1000 4 door saloon. Two owners from new, in everyday use with a total mileage over 240,000 miles.
MG B GT
New in October 1970 in the Surrey area, and now since 2002 preserved by the current owner
Austin Healry Sprite
Reliant Scimitar GTE
Preserved by the current owner
Rover 2000 TC
Morris Mini Cooper 'S' Mk II
New in October/ November 1970, but not registered until August 1971. It is thought to appear at the Geneva Motor Show, when new.
Bedford CF Autosleeper
Owned since 2001. New carbs, new engine fitted in 2003 )now on 12000 miles), new front/rear suspension, new brakes (discs & pads), electronic ignition and fuel pump, 12V battery.
Ford Granada Mk1 Consul GT
Rare very early model of the Mk I Consul GT, production of this model only started in August 1972.
Preserved by te Current Owner for 14 Years.
New to the Federation Brewery on barralled beer deliveries around the north east. One of fifteen reliable workhorses. Sold in 2005 after the breweries takeover by Scottish Courage
Reliant Scimitar GTE
Paul Ross Janet Ross
2.0 litre Fuel Injection estate version of Volvo P1800
Ford D Series Platform Lorry
New in 1972, was used internally with ICI for 8 years, Now in the liverty of Vaux Brewery, and preserved by the current owner.
MGB GT Built in 1972 but not registered until March 1973. Last chrome bumper MGB variation before the change to rubber bumper. Restored 16 years ago by the previous owner. Member of the North East Restoration Club
Hillman Hunter GL saloon
Hillman Avenger 1250S
Karrier Bantam 'Chelsea' type Refuse Lorry
Originating in Cumberland as a flatbed coal lorry, it gained it's 'Chelsea' style refuse body for filming purposes before moving to the North East. Currently painted in Seaham Urban District Council livery, who used similar vehicles in the 1960s. The photo shows the vehicle with modified registration, when used for filming.
Ford Escort MK1 RS 2000
One of the last MK1 Escorts before MK2 launched. Finished in Ermine White with Blue trim
2011 is the first year on the road after a 4 year restoration, and first time at Seaburn Event
Triumph 2000 Mk 2 saloon
Bill and Ena Hutchinson
The car has been in the possession of the current owner for 30 years.
ERF "A" Series 6 Wheel Box Van
The vehicle originated with Associated Lead as a flatbed, later gaining it's box body whilst in use with showman George Halliday from Hetton le Hole. The current owner purchased the vehicle from E & N Ritchie in 2009, and it is currently undergoing extensive restoration.
Owned since 2008. Has been exhibited at many local shows, members of the North East Restoration Club
Reliant Super Robin 850
William L Briggs
Owned since 1983, used as everyday transport for owner when a bus driver, still going well today. Very well maintained by myself former mechanic come bus driver
Ford Granada Ghia, Mk I
This body colour and interior colour combination is the rarest in the Mk I Ford Granada range.
Mr T S Hunt
1200CC Last year of European production. Because of distinctive body paintwork it is known as "Fire'ry Fred" or "Flamer".
This car was re-shelled into an American shell from San Franciso about 5 years ago. Still has USA features.
Ford Cortina MK4
Ford Cortina mark4 was new in 1979, and is preserved with the current owner.
Pontiac Firebird Trans-am
Morris Marina 440 7cwt Van
Purchased new by the current owner for his carpet business. Used as a private vehicle from 2000. First entered in classic shows from 2004. Won various other awards. Also won its class at the Tyne Tees Run for the last 7 years.
Vauxhall Cavalier 2000 GLS Sports Hatch
The owner purchased the vehicle in September, 2001, for only ?50. It has since been recommissioned with the paint restored from bare metal, and is now used everyday as well as being presented at shows.
Dennis RS/SS Pump Escape Fire Engine
New in 1982 to East Sussex Fire Brigade in Brighton, equipped and operational, attended the 1984 IRA Brighton Grand Hotel bombing. Brighton was one of the last Brigades to operate and keep the pump escapes. 10.5 diesel engine automatic. 50 FT ladder.
Triumph Acclaim CD
Foden S104 4x2 recovery truck
Foden S104 Recovery Truck - Having served as a tractor unit for Leggett Freightways, and latterly as a shunter at their Peterlee Depot, this vehicle was acquired by it's present ownerand modified to it's present state