An unusual open-top conversion of a Beadle bodied AEC Regal bus, new to Maidstone & District and restored in their livery, Acquired by the late Christopher Moyes from Guide Friday, now in the care of NEBPT.
Bristol L5G with Eastern Coachworks single-deck bus body.
The bus was new to United in the summer of 1947, with fleet number BLO 202. It was allocated to subsidiary company Bell's Services of Westerhope, Newcastle carrying the standard red and cream livery. Next, in 1951, it was returned to the main United fleet as BG 216. In 1959, the bus was transferred from United to subsidiary company Durham District Services, with whom it ran in green and cream livery, numbered DB 216. It was sold for preservation in 1968.
AEC Regent III 9612a NCB H30/26R
AEC Regent III with Northern Coachbuilders, was new as Newcastle Corporation 341 in 1950.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal 64-seat double-deck bodywork.
The bus was put into service by London Transport as RM1058, an example of the original production short-length vehicles. After privatisation it was inherited by Go Ahead's London Central and worked from New Cross garage. It was retired into preservation in 2005 after service 36 was converted to driver-only operation. Restoration continues on the vehicle, including seats re-trimmed in original Scott tartan. Original registration 58 CLT.
Leyland Leopard PSU3/3RT, Alexander DP51F
New to Venture Transport as fleet no. 249, passing to Northern as 2830, later 4264. Withdrawn in 1980 and sold to APT, Lincoln. Purchased by the late Michael Reed and partly restored. Completely restored to as-new condition over a couple of years.
Daimler CCG5 with Roe 61-seat highbridge double-deck body with open rear platform.
Aycliffe & District Bus Preservation Society (Peter Mitchell)
New to Darlington Corporation Transport and in service from 1964 until 1980. Purchased by ADBPS in 1980. It is unusual with its combination of Daimler chassis and Guy Arab driveline with Gardner 5LW engine and constant mesh gearbox.
AEC Routemaster 3R2RH, Park Royal H41/31F
New to Northern General as fleet no. 2105; one of only 50 built for use outside London; used for medium-distance services until preserved in 1980. Restored in the original livery in which it entered service.
Daimler CCG6 with Roe double-deck body.
(Calum Train) 140 Group
The bus appeared in the 1964 Earls Court Motor Show. It is a hybrid of Daimler chassis and Guy driveline with Gardner engine. It has appeared in a Tesco advert.
The vehicle was new to South Shields Corporation as No 140. On withdrawal, it was retained by Busways and later Stagecoach, and has been maintained by the 140 Group for 32 years. It has been in preservation longer than it was in service. The only double decker remaining in South Shields.
Atkinson Alpha with Gardner 6HLW engine and Marshall 48-seat single-deck body.
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
No. 48 in the Sunderland Corporation fleet was one of a batch of three Atkinson chassis, which were to be the last Atkinson passenger chassis to enter service in this country in 1964. Atkinson was better known for its lorry chassis and the company were approached by Sunderland to build these vehicles after unsatisfactory performance from the Corporation's AEC Reliances.
The vehicles had Gardner 6HLW engines mounted horizontally underfloor. The bodies were by Marshall to the contemporary B.E.T. specification, similar to other local vehicles at the time. The twin-door bodies were specified to operate on the Pay-As-You-Enter system.
The steps into the saloon were very high, compared to the low-floor buses of today. Seating capacity was only 45 due to the dual door layout.
Morris LD Ambulance
Body by Wadham Stringer. Ex Sussex County Ambulance Service. Bought several years ago as a converted camper & restored to accident ambulance spec. Powered by BMC 2.2 petrol engine. This ambulance has appeared on several TV shows over the years.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H40/32R
New in 1966 with London Regional Transport, this Routemaster spent many years in London before being preserved 14 years ago by the current owner.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H06/00R
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
This Routemaster entered service as London Transport RML2530 in 1966 and was latterly a First Group bus at Centrewest. After withdrawal in 2004 it passed via Ensign to Gillingham Football Club and was converted to a promotional vehicle with a trailer, having conversion work carried out by South East Coachworks. It was acquired by McCains in 2007 and converted into 'The Potato Bus', which travelled extensively around the country promoting McCains and explaining the story of the potato to school children, most of whom did not know that chips were made from potatoes! It was acquired by Rydale Folk Museum at Hutton-le-Hole near Pickering from McCain?s in October 2010. Following an enquiry from Keith Kitching of Scarborough it was acquired by the NEBPT in April 2012
Bristol RESL6L with Eastern Coachworks body
This bus was the first Leyland-engined Bristol RE to be delivered to a non-Tilling operator. It was sold by Busways in 1977 for service with a succession of further operators before reacquisition in 1988. It has been preserved since 1998.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H40/32R
New to London Transport as RML 2686, one of the last batch of RML's in service and latterly run by Arriva until the demise of RM operation in London. The bus was refurbished some years ago and was fitted with a Cummins engine, bought by Cooper of Annitsford, Northumberland, and acquired from them by present owner in 2005 after driving it up from London. On going restoration to its 1968 looks.
Bristol RESL6L with Eastern Coachworks 43-seat front-entrance bus bodywork.
This bus has had two periods of service life and two of preservation. It began work for Bristol Omnibus and ran until 1992; it was preserved until 1997; then ran for Northern Bus, Sheffield, until again preserved from 1997.
New to Bristol Omnibus Co. Last survivor of this design of ECW body on 33' chassis. Having been rallied for past 16 years in various 'Bristol Omnibus' liveries, this bus has recently undergone further restoration and been re-painted into 1960s Tilling Red to represent a similar United Automobile Services vehicle long departed XHN 938G.
Former Devon General bus now preserved in the North East
Leyland National Greenway
A Leyland National MkI converted by East Lancashire Coach Builders to National Greenway specification in December 1992.
Bristol LHS6L with Plaxton C33F bodywork
The vehicle was new to Epsom Coaches in 1976 then to G E Sykes of Appleton Roebuck near York. It was acquired by the current owner in 2003.
Leyland Atlantean AN68A/2R Alexander H49/37F
Leyland Leopard/Plaxton Supreme C53F
Plaxton Supreme IV bodywork, ex National Express (East Yorkshire). It then went to Cherry Coaches of Hull, before returning to East Yorkshire Motor Services, it spent some it's later years with Lee's of Durham, Classic of Annfield Plain, and Scarlet Band Coaches all in the Durham area, before being preserved by the present owner Mr Tony Hull.
Leyland Atlantean AN68C/2R with Alexander double-deck body.
Treble One Group (M Mackenzie)
New to Tyne and Wear PTE in 1981; it passed to Busways in 1986. It worked first at City Busways from Byker then most of its time at Slatyford on Fastline services. It had brief spells on Magicbus and at Sunderland and ended up at Stagecoach Transit from where it was bought by the Treble-one Group in 2004.
It is restored in Newcastle Busways livery.
Leyland Leopard Plaxton C53F
Leyland Leopard with Plaxton Supreme V body
Leyland Tiger TRC TL11/3RH Duple Laser 2 C57F
New to Bissett(Primrose Coaches)of Ryton upon Tyne in 1983 as the company silver jubilee vehicle. Later operated by Tyne Valley Motor Services, Hexham.
Extensively restored during 2013 and re entered service as an active PSV with Primrose of Hexham.
Leyland Olympian/Alexander new to Carlisle
Carlisle Bus Group (Lee Paul Wardle)
This bus was new in May 1988 and was the 3rd bus that Stagecoach bought for Carlisle and one of the first in the country. Back then it was known as 1005 and was new in Stagecoach Stripes
Since then it has only ever operated out of 3 Cumbrian depots, these being Barrow, Carlisle & Kendal.
Now owned by the Carlisle Bus Group and based in Carlisle. Long term restoration project back to as good as new condition.