A selection of classic and modern buses & coaches will be on display, accompanied by trade stalls.
A free classic and modern bus service will operate to Tanfield Railway & Beamish Museum.
MetroCentre Coach Park depart
Tanfield Railway arrive
Beamish Museum arrive
Beamish Museum depart
Tanfield Railway depart
MetroCentre Coach Park arrive
An additional journey may operate at 30 minutes past the hour from 10.30 to 14.30 from the Metrocentre, returning from Beamish Museum on the hour from 11.00 to 15.00 if we have sufficient volunteers.
Beamish Museum are holding a Public Transport Weekend for details click here - Normal admission charges apply.
To travel to the event by public transport catch any bus or rail service serving the Metrocentre and walk over the footbridge to the Metrocentre Coach Park.
For additional information on the location of the Metrocentre Coach Park, click here
Sunday 7th May 2023
Time 10:00 AM
Karrier BFD3023 Plaxton C14F
New to Brocksbank of Leeds, Original reg 6666 U, later BVH 157A, formerly owned by John Hogarth and Ray Thornton. Some restoration work recently carried out at Gardiners of Spennymoor.
Leyland Atlantean PDR1/1 with Alexander double-deck body.
The bus was new to Newcastle Corporation and was operated until 1977. It was bought for preservation by the Four to One Group, who carried out much work on it. It later passed to Jimmy Storey who completed the restoration work.
Leyland Leopard PSU3/3RT, Alexander DP51F
New to Venture Transport as fleet no. 249, passing to Northern as 2830, later 4264. Withdrawn in 1980 and sold to APT, Lincoln. Purchased by the late Michael Reed and partly restored. Completely restored to as-new condition over a couple of years.
AEC Routemaster 3R2RH, Park Royal H41/31F
New to Northern General as fleet no. 2105; one of only 50 built for use outside London; used for medium-distance services until preserved in 1980. Restored in the original livery in which it entered service.
Daimler CCG6 with Roe double-deck body.
The bus appeared in the 1964 Earls Court Motor Show. It is a hybrid of Daimler chassis and Guy driveline with Gardner engine. It has appeared in a Tesco advert.
The vehicle was new to South Shields Corporation as No 140. On withdrawal, it was retained by Busways and later Stagecoach, and has been maintained by the 140 Group for 32 years. It has been in preservation longer than it was in service. The only double decker remaining in South Shields.
AEC Routemaster Park Royal H40/32R
This Routemaster entered service as London Transport RML2551 in 1966, initially on route 6, and after refurbishment on route 12. Refurbishment was of both interior and of the driveline, when a Cummins engine replaced the AEC original. The current owner intends to preserve it with its route 12 branding.
Leyland Atlantean MCCW O44/34F
North East Bus Preservation Trust Ltd
This vehicle was delivered to Newcastle Corporation Transport in 1966 as fleet number 118 and transferred to Tyneside PTE on 1st January 1970.
It was rebuilt to O44/34F in May 1974 for use at South Shields and Renumbered 218 in July 1974.
In 1977 it was painted into Silver Jubilee livery, which it carried when used for transporting Muhammed Ali around the North East in July 1977.
It was Withdrawn and sold to Galway Tours, High Ryan, Moycullen, Co. Galway, date unknown (c.2000).
Operated on sightseeing tours in Galway, Ireland, with registration number ZV 1510. Last operated April 2004. Kindly donated to NEBPT by Galway Tours owner, Michael Healy in August 2006.
We were delighted to secure Awards for All England funding from the Big Lottery Fund which enabled KBB to be professionally restored.
Alexander Y type bodied Leyland Leopard C49F
New to RTITB (Wembley) - Restored in Venture Transport Colours
Leyland Atlantean PDR2/1 Alexander H48/30D
Leyland Atlantean PDR2/1 new to Tyne Wear PTE in June 1972, fleet no 680. Sold to isle of man and brought back to UK 2003
Bristol RELH6G ECW DP49F
SHN 80L (6080) was new to United in the summer of 1973. The vehicle spent the majority of its operating career working from Bishop Auckland depot and chiefly used on the Bishop Auckland to Newcastle service. The vehicle entered preservation upon withdrawal in 1987 and has a number of owners since then. The bus was repatriated to its native North East by its current owner of this year. The plan is to eventually repaint 6080 into NBC poppy red and white, the livery the bus wore whist operating for United.
Leyland Vehicles REV01 - Leyland National 11351A/2R, chassis 05034
Workington Transport Heritage Trust
REV01 was built with a dual-door 21 seat body and retained by Leyland to develop its advanced multiplex electrical system and later, with Torotrak, continuously variable transmission system. It was converted to single door with 52 seats and latterly returned to West Cumbria and fitted with a DAF engine and used on school services until 2009. It then passed to WTHT and, in 2015 was repainted into its white, blue and orange Leyland test bus livery as REV01. It continues to be a great performer and is popular on long runs as the two heating units create a warm atmosphere.
ECW bodied Bristol VRTSL6LXB, ex West Yorkshire Road Car Co
Leyland Leopard/Duple Dominant II Express 53 seater coachwork.
Owned since new in 1980, this vehicle is still in everyday use. Has a 6 speed ZF box, 680 engine, FM pump.
Volvo B58 Plaxton Supreme IV Royale Bleu Ecosse
Ex Glenton Tours of London
ECW bodied Leyland Olympian
ECW bodied Leyland Olympian
Restored in Express Link livery
Leyland Olympian/Alexander new to Carlisle
Carlisle Bus Group (Lee Paul Wardle)
This bus was new in September 1988 to Stagecoach Cumberland. It was the third bus that Stagecoach bought for Carlisle and one of the first of its type in the country.
Upon arrival, the double-decker bus was given the fleet number of 1005 and carried the iconic Stagecoach 'Stripes' livery. 1005 was part of a batch of nine vehicles of the same type which started life at Stagecoach Cumberland's Carlisle depot, where they were mainly purchased for use on the city network of services. In early May 2010, the vehicle was painted into a heritage cms Cumberland livery, in time for the annual Stagecoach North West Open Day which took place at Carlisle depot.
Sadly on 20th September 2012 it received minor accident damage while in service with Kendal depot, and with the return of Olympic-loaned vehicles, it resulted in its final withdrawal from service. The vehicle was subsequently transferred up to Carlisle depot for storage, ironically where it all started twenty-four years previously. The Olympian sat at Carlisle pending disposal from the group.
Throughout September, October and November the newly formed Carlisle Bus group negotiated with Stagecoach to purchase 1005, and finally in December got the green light and received the paperwork which passed the ownership of 1005 to Carlisle Bus for onward preservation. It has since received full restoration.
DAF SB220 Optare Delta.
Optare Delta 251 was the first of a batch of four vehicles (251 to 254) ordered by Northumbria Motor Services Ltd of Newcastle upon Tyne on the 4th of July 1989
251 was delivered to Northumbria in October 1989 after it appeared in the Bus & Coach Show at the N.E.C. It then travelled to France & Holland with the Directors & Senior Managers at the end of November 1989.
Originally based at Gallowgate depot, 251 worked out of most of the Northumbria depots at some time in her life before the sale of the Company to British Bus then ultimately Cowies (Arriva) Ironically on the 15th of January 1998 251 became the first bus to be painted in Arriva livery!
Between the 11th of January 2006 and the 21st of September 2008 251 was expertly restored by Gardiners of Spennymoor before making her debut at Showbus 2008.
Dennis Dart 9.8SDL Alexander Dash B40F
This vehicle was the first of a batch of six new buses 1723 - 1728 (K723 PNL - K728 PNL) delivered to Sunderland Busways in 1993.
It was named 'CITY OF SUNDERLAND' to commemorate the granting of City Status in 1992 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on the 40th anniversary of her accession to the throne.
Northern Counties bodied Volvo Olympian
Delivered new to Stagecoach Transit in 1995, but in Transit livery, and working at Stockton depot for 4 years before transferring to Stagecoach in Hull. Finally withdrawn by Stagecoach in 2010 and disposed of to Ensignbus (Dealer) whence it passed to independent Red Kite, Leighton Buzzard, who operated her for the better part of a decade.
Approaches were kindly made by Red Kite during 2019 and the group successfully purchased her in June 2019. We showed her in as acquired condition at the Seaburn and Keighley rallies towards at the end of the 2019 season.
During early 2020, 223 was given a full external restoration, regaining her iconic green, white and yellow Transit livery, complete with the authentic “Part of The Stagecoach Group" strapline. Because of Covid it would be mid-2021 before she debuted in her new, as original, guise, attending the NEBPT MetroCentre and Seaburn rallies and providing an evening Group outing. Having already travelled to Whitehaven for the Leyland National 50th Anniversary event, we hope that 2022 will, at last, allow a full year's rallying.
New to Chester le Street in June 1998 4855 was the final member of the second batch of 8 B10BLE that were bought to run the service 21 and morning 734. After 2 years the batch was reallocated to Stanley for use on the service 775 and 778 replacing the popular DAF SB220's.
Then in 2008 48 found herself back at Chester LE Street to run the "branded" lime. From there she was withdrawn in 2015, displaced by Wrightbus Streetlite's.
The NNRG took delivery of 4855 from Saltmeadows Road bodyshop in September 2015. Restoration started straight away and she was unveiled in her original livery in 2016 as a surprise entry at the North East Bus and Coach Show.
4855 has the distinction of being the first low floor bus that was preserved from Go Northeast in 2015, and has been a popular attraction on the rally field since 2016.